Zero fret

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

On another Forum there is a thread about “the Zero Fret”.  A fret wire on the fingerboard side of the nut.

As I plan on playing the 75th T.A.S. 000  a lot in DADGAD I am wondering if I should ask SCGC to build one into the guitar.

Or do I have the guitar strung with the new SCGC DADGAD tension strings direct from the factory……although that would seem to limit my tuning options.

As I have trusted the mothership to always build the best sounding guitars possible, I would really like to get R.H’s thoughts on this subject….before the guitar is started.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Mr. Jelly
      Participant

I don’t know anything about zero frets but I would definitely ask to have it set up with your strings of choice. Possibly have the top voiced for your tuning. It doesn’t hurt to ask and get their ideas about it.

SC 00 Sitka/Hog 1929 Cowboy purfling Buttertoast
      Collings 001 T
      Waterloo WL-S Deluxe

tadol

I’ve never seen a SC with a zero fret – but I’m sure Richard could build one if he wanted. My most immediate thought would be that if Richard felt there was a real benefit to building with a zero fret, he’d be doing it, or at least offering it as an option.  Since he isn’t, and doesn’t, I’d be inclined to think that he doesn’t feel there are any good reasons to do it.

But, I wouldn’t think to speak for him – maybe we can use this as a discussion topic for a future podcast. Or maybe he’ll weigh in here (if he isn’t too busy – which he usually is). I’d also like to ask him about their fine-tuning custom builds for specific SC string sets – that could be very interesting –

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.