working on any new songs ?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion working on any new songs ?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      zorro
      Participant

I’m starting to develop a bit of  stiffness in my left thumb so I’m trying to learn some new songs that will force me to “spread” and stretch my left (fretting) hand……..Damn I HATE getting old. But as I always say ….Never Ever Give Up…..It only hurts when I use it.

Anyway…started learning “Can’t Find My Way Home” acoustic version by Stevie Winwood .

Always one of my favs from the “Old” days.

Any of you performers learning anything just for yourselves? Not for performance sake.

P.S., Matt the tutorial you sent me on alternate chords is a great help….Thanks.

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi

The Bay, The Gulf Stream, The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their Secrets with.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by zorro.
      indexless
      Keymaster

I’ve been working my way through the new Robben Ford CD Purple House, a very musical player with a huge talent

Old 97
      Participant

Have you mastered the Double Diminished scale? I watch Ford’s lessons along with Pat Martino.

in my truck I listen to Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I focus on his trumpet solos and Cannonball Adderly’s Sax solos. They are blues based with Miles’ lines very minimalistic. I choose phrases to sing/whistle and memorize.

I had a gig a few weeks ago with three hours of tunes I had to read from charts. Only a half dozen were songs I already new.

the Blues band is writing originals.

The country band is learning lots of Western Swing and tunes from the 50s to the 70s,

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Old 97.
      • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Old 97.
      indexless
      Keymaster

Zorro

How bout Eric’s 30 day guitar challenge….I did it last year, it’s GREAT, here’s the story from our friends at Peghead Nation, while your there, what about taking an on line lesson, 20 bucks a month…love these times

https://pegheadnation.com/commentary/take-stand/eric-skyes-thirty-day-guitar-challenge/

zorro
      Participant

Old 97 and Indexless…..Y’All are MUSICIANS and structured People….. I’m a “Let the sheets fly” kind of guy.

But then I know what “Let The Sheet Fly” means…LOLOLOLO

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi

The Bay, The Gulf Stream, The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their Secrets with.

deziner2
      Participant

Working on “Skippy” composed by Buster B Jones. The tuning is in Gm. It’s got one tough stretch in particular where you need to play the 5th and 6th strings at the fifth fret and the D string on the second fret while allowing the remaining three stings to be played open. The notes are arpeggiated eighth notes using all the stings so you need to maintain contact with the fretboard on strings 4,5 and 6 while allowing strings 1,2 and 3 to ring. Oh yeah one more minor problem this song is played pretty fast and you must be able to move from the previous chord and the subsequent chord seamlessly. I learned half on the song and ran into this mess. I’m 71 but I’m not giving up!  You just have to briefly hold the position each day maybe 10 times as an exercise. Eventually I hope to pull this off and not get tendonitis.

Max

Daniel
      Participant

Palmeri’s Tango Mass.  I’m in the process of joining the local choir.  Singin’ in the Cathedral on 4 May.  I’m already nervous!

D

Matt Hayden
      Participant

Old 97, can you post a link to the double diminished thing?

Working on chord melody stuff, trying to be able to approach new music and get it more readily.

Old 97
      Participant
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

Thanks!

Matt Hayden
      Participant

This week, during our Thursday jam, the Sesame Street theme came up (we had a novice human in the room who really really really really really wanted to sing it).

Fifteen minutes, several extended solos, and a very satisfied six-year-old singer-dancer-star-of-the-show later, we had a new song in the repertoire….I don’t think anyone had expected to play that in this lifetime.  🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Matt Hayden.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.