wondering Why??

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

just wondering Why??
        I clicked on the link that Wes provided to view his 1934 hog that he has for sale. A beautiful guitar ,by the way and well priced.
        the link was for Reverb…Now where ever I go on my browser I am exposed to Reverb ads.
        I have always loved the intimacy and close held conversations of this Forum…Am I missing something??

Anonymous

Blame Reverb for this.

Matt Hayden
          Participant

This is the state of the web right now.  Your browsing habits are being monitored, as regulations and consent decrees related to privacy have recently been rolled back, and even with the recent Facebook debacle, advertisers are still running wild to track you, hijack your cookies to get at your data, and sell it for $$$$.   Remember – when the product is free, YOU are the product.

So how do you get around this?

Here are a few things to reduce your traceability…..beside not using the internet.

1. Use Chrome; as a browser, it’s got more extensions to help privacy than others.  In addition, it’s designed so that each tab runs in a separate process, making it more difficult for advertisers to track outside the current tab and hijack information gathered by other adverstisers and cookies.

2. Use an ad blocker extension.  Chrome has a number of these. I use AdBlock Plus, but uBlock is also good.  This blocks ads, including the insidious single-pixel ads designed solely to place a cookie in your cache and track your habits.

3. Install the privacy badger extension.  Like Honey Badger, Privacy Badger don’t care – about the feelings of ads and other things that want to track you.

4. Install the Disconnect extension.  This blocks a multitude of ills, including cookie hijacking, third party cookie use, and other Bad Stuff.

Clear your cache after installing them (make sure you know your passwords first!!) and you’ll have much less targeted adware in your browser.

-mh

tadol
              Senior Moderator

Thank you!  I was not aware that Chrome was better at that – assumed that as a google product, it was much more inclined to get more data for google, so I’ve stuck with Safari – but if you can get onto this site and post, Chrome is gonna get alot more looking into –

But being old and having more trouble remembering a multitude of passwords ( and remembering them across multiple devices ) do you have any thoughts about passwords managers??

Matt Hayden
              Participant

Hi Tadol,

Chrome definitely has the right answers in terms of privacy. It’s not perfect – nothing is – but it’ll do more to secure your browsing with the right add-ons than most others. The key thing is to use Adblock, Privacy Badger, and Disconnect – they add a lot to your experience.

In terms of passwords, a good password manager is LastPass.  At $24/year, it’s not particularly cheap, but it’s pretty reasonable. The key thing is to have the password for your LastPass inscribed onto the inside of your eyelids – when you lose that, your only real recourse is to destroy the account and start over, and yes, that has happened to me.    OTOH, that’s part of why it’s relatively safe.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Matt Hayden.
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.