Which G run?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

As most of you know(this being a very personal group) I can’t hold a pick due to nerve damage from a broken neck accident years ago.
        I have developed a bit of my own style with a Bluechip Thumb pick and bare fingers for both strumming and fingerpicking.
        I have been playing more Cajun and “Old style”Fogerty of late and want to add one of these G runs to my mediocre playing.
        The basic G run shown is easy for me but does not make me work hard enough……so which one Mates ?
        I love Tony Rice but I love the sound of the Norman Blake Run……
        I’ll have to do it with a thumb pick and strum with the backs of my fingernails on the downstrokes.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Hank.
        Anonymous

Interesting all the different version’s. More fun in the shed.

Matt Hayden
          Participant

I figure if you start with Lester Flatt’s version, you can’t go wrong.  Next after that for me are Del McCoury’s, which is bluesier, and the Doc Watson’s, which drives the rhythm more.  But it’d be fun to master a bunch and them sprinkle them in as you neeed.    And they can be played with fingers, too, as opposed to a pick.

Daniel
            Participant

I think Scott Nygaard uses a 2 note G-run.  He keeps it simple because he’s usually playing in a band and the spaces are more limited.

Daniel

tadol
              Senior Moderator

Cool video!  I plan to go try those out – And that may be the ultimate (non-violent) video to make my wife leave the room and go watch TV somewhere else!  😉

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.