What is Impact of Abalone inlay on Sound

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company What is Impact of Abalone inlay on Sound

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      haasome
      Participant

I listened to a video interview where you (Richard) are holding a Custom 000 (I believe) with 45 style abalone inlays. Richard,you make some statement to the effect that you place the inlay where it won’t impact the sound. How does abalone inlay used around the bouts or in other locations on a guitar impact tone?

– Paul –

Hank
        Participant

Haasome,
          I asked Richard this question about my 1934 D with style 45 appointments.
          He answered me on this page…..He said it definitely did make a difference.
          Maybe you can search this page for his answer.
          Richard’s and Bill Warmouth’s and my conversation about this exact topic (before I ordered the 34) was the deciding factor in my getting the style 45 upgrade.
          Just looked the topic is on page 2 ….under D45 appointments.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Hank.
          haasome
          Participant

Thanks Zorro. I found it here – https://santacruzguitarplayers.com/forums/topic/d-45-appointments/

– Paul –

Richard Hoover
            Senior Moderator

Here it is Haasome! I did minor clarifying editorial here to make me look smarter.

Let’s start with how the binding affects the sound in general. The violin uses the little black/white/black fiber purfle to isolate the top from the body of the instrument. With out this the string’s energy would transfer from the top into the sides and back of the violin directing sound to the player at the expense of the audience. The same happens in the guitar. If the bindings don’t isolate the top from the body it will suffer in its ability to project the sound outward.

Your SCGC’s 45 style binding does an excellent job of isolation with two violin purfles book-ending abalone strips all working together by limiting the transfer of vibration away from your audience. Real wood or cellulose based bindings like Ivoroid add to the advantage. Contrast this with the laminated plastic binding found in production instruments. These will transfer rather than block vibration resulting in a guitar that seems louder to the player than to the audience.

All the best, Richard

haasome
              Participant

Thanks for the clarification and edification.

– Paul –

indexless
                Keymaster

WOW, this might be a forum first…… at long last the forum is actually working…you guys make me proud!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.