Unusual RH%

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

We are having the coldest few days in the last number of years and the RH in the house is 39%. Most of The Ramuda are in the American Music Corral and enjoy 50% RH.

I rotated some out this morning an let them “Dry Out ” for a few hours…….Man Do they sound great…..I can really hear the difference that 10% drier makes……I may lower the RH control to 40% in the corral….at least for awhile.

iim7V7IM7
        Participant

Hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate. When you see 39% RH, I would always interpret that as somewhere between 35-45% RH. Anywhere between 40-60% RH and you’ll should be fine typically. Even with transient dry conditions (< 24 hours) in the 30-40%RH range and I would be surprised if you’d encounter a stability issue. I keep a large analog and digital hygrometers in my guitar room. They never fully agree but are usually within 5% RH of each other. I haven’t done a salt solution calibration in too long. I have a 5-1/2 gallon evaporative humidifier in my 10’ x 20’  guitar room set at 45% RH hoping to keep it in the 40-50% RH range. With the doors closed that lasts about 5 days in the cold Northeast winter. To me, my guitars sound best slightly dry at 40% RH.

tadol
          Senior Moderator

Boy, am I glad I don’t have to worry about that – its bad enough having to change the strings and keep them in tune!

haasome
            Participant

During the cold months of December, January, February and March I keep one (guitar) room humidified to 42%RH, while the rest of the house hovers around 35%. The house is new and I built it airtight & energy efficient, so I don’t have the RH challenge I have had with some of my “vintage” homes. The RH in the entire house is controlled during the summer months at 50%RH. Hank, I agree, my guitars sound better during the drier winter months. I find that guitars at >50% seem to lose something, but it’s always fun.

– Paul –

Chrisakadigdog
              Participant

There are those few times here on the central coast of California that we’ll drop to 20-30% rh and man do the acoustic sound glorious. Especially if your burning the fireplace on cold days.

iim7V7IM7
                Participant

Back east you need to constantly stay on top of managing the guitar room environment. I like to keep my guitars out on a rack so they get played. There are three guitar seasons:

– Late October to End of April – Run humidifier to Augment the Room (+, or crack season)

– May to Mid June & Mid September to Late October – No Supplemental Adjustment Required

– Mid June to Mid September – Run AC to reduce % RH out of the air (-, guitars sound bad season)

Since we are likely to retire out west where it is dry, I will invest into one of these…

https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-house-products/humidifier

A luthier friend of mine uses one of these to humidify his 2,000 sq. ft shop.

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

Mine seem to do ok here – the rh is mostly pretty reasonable, and the house is 40-45% most of the time.

If I take the instruments where it’s dryer, like the desert, they do get louder and open up.

Time to go play now 😀

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.