Tuner Swap

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      gringo1
      Participant

Hi,

Does anyone know if SCGC glues in the tuner bushings?  I’d like to swap mine out and am not sure how to best remove the bushings.

Thanks!

Matt Hayden
      Participant

Mine were not glued in.  They were a very snug press fit, and I made up a tool to press them out from the back very gently – it was a piece of maple turned to 1/4” with a slightly larger shoulder (a bit less than 11/32” AIR) to push on the bottom of the bushings.

Good to know Matt.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

The trick to get them out is to very gently press on the back of the bushing. I made up a jig with the above-mentioned shouldered post, a small screw clamp, and a block on the face with a relief hole for the bushing, and they came out without cracking the lacquer,

gringo1
      Participant

Thanks Matt!

Matt Hayden
      Participant

You are most welcome! 🙂

pto
      Participant

stew mac offers a modified visegrip for bushing installation and removal.  not sure it’s necessary for waverly bushings that have been properly installed. overkill to me (i have used it).  but if the bushing is stubborn, then this safely, for both sides of the headstock, does it.

wickedwahine11
      Participant

Resurrecting an old thread to say thank you for the tip re: the StewMac tool.  I am out of town for a couple days, but was planning on swapping my chrome Gotoh mini 510s for the antique gold ones when I return home.  Now I know what to use if I have difficulty removing the old ones.

SCGC koa Firefly, Grimes Hapa nylon, Emerald painted X7, Taylor K24ce, DeVine koa classical, Moore Bettah ukulele, KoAloha KTM-00 ukulele

bert
      Participant

The Gotoh 510s are excellent tuners. A few years ago I decided to move the Waverlys on my 2001 VJ to an old Martin I sold.  I replaced them with a new set of Schaller Grand Tunes. Can’t recall the exact size of the tuner shaft hole but I used a drill bit that fit perfect. From the back of the headstock just lightly tapped the bushing out no problem. Sometimes the compression fit can be difficult and need the StewMac tool (or a luthier).

Every tuner swap is a one-off in my experience. bert

Matt Hayden
      Participant

As much as I like Waverly tuners – and I do – I have tried the Gotoh SXN-510V tuners on a Martin that came with the usual closed-back tuners, and I am extraordinarily impressed.  They fit together with a screw-in bushing from the front like a closed-back tuner and fit the holes for the old tuner exactly.  They’re 15:1, so fine enough tuning, and don’t bind at all.

It’s much easier than a conversion to Waverly tuners even with the conversion bushings – there’s no probability of misplacing the tuner and having it bind.  And the Gotohs are, as with any other open-back, vastly lighter than the closed-back tuners they replace.

http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sxn510v.html

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Matt Hayden.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Matt Hayden.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.