Truss Rod Socket

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      K9shagi
      Participant

Hello,

I just bought a used Santa Cruz B/PW.

The instructions tell me I need a 5/16 “thin walled” socket. I haven’t been able to find one anywhere.

Does anyone have a good source for one? Thanks

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome,

Great question, I forget where I got mine, but I’m sure we’ll get you some answers

Hank
          Participant
            K9shagi
            Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Great.</p>
              Thanks, I’ll give it a shot.

K9shagi
              Participant

If anyone has another source that would be great. Kipper tool is a no go.

Anonymous

Locate your closest SNAP-ON   Or. MATCO tool dealer

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

Standard deep socket with ¼” drive should be fine – avoid sockets designed for larger drives, and sockets designed for impact as they tend to have thicker, heavier sides.

Richard Hoover
                    Senior Moderator

Thanks all for helping out with this. Here’s some FYI’s to fill in the gaps. We found that the original 3/8″ Truss Rod nut was not close enough to 10mm to satisfy our European customers, whereas 5/16″ and 8mm was a perfect match! This was a nice contribution to world peace so it became the standard about 2011. If you’d like to be sure regarding your personal guitar; go to http://www.santacruzguitar.com/careandfeeding and using your serial and model number as reference you’ll see what size nut is on your truss rod.

The thin walled socket is only recommended to keep it from binding between the old 3/8″ nut and the wall of the access hole. With today’s 5/16″ nut there is ample clearance with no chance of binding, making any standard issue socket appropriate for the task.

Best, Richard

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.