Top Tint

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

What is the darkest top (not Sunburst) tint on a SCGC top that any of you old SC customers have seen ?I don’t mean Black….. I mean dark but still showing top grain/silking.

I’m overthinking the 000 build (I mean hell, that’s part of the fun of doing a custom build according to Mr. Hoover) , right now it’s AB/Moon Spruce with natural finish on top.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

The OT. With blackened edges. You’ve got OT  so you’re close.    A deep wine red has always got my attention esp when there’s some flashy edge and rosette bling popping out the perimeter.  Let us know when you’d like our suggestion to add to the “overthinking”. Haha. Oh what a life.  Now go snag a tarpin

Hank
      Participant

HEY Y’ALL…. I need your thoughts on this…… I respect all of your thoughts.

The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

tadol

Tinting or staining wood is amazingly easy – to do badly – especially with softwoods, like the spruce usually used for tops. They can easily absorb color unevenly, especially if there is any figure (like bearclaw) in the piece, so its important to seal the top to try to get an even color. But if you seal the top, its hard to get dyes to soak into the grain, which are what give you the most clarity and depth of color. Pigments can be applied to the surface, which can give you a nice even coloration, but tend to obscure the grain a bit more.  You can also tint the top coats. So many options to achieve lots of appearances. So when you say dark, its important to think about how much grain you want to see – you start to get too dark, and any indication of grain practically disappears.  Its pretty tricky, so I’d see what  Carolyn suggests –

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

bert
      Participant

+1 on what Tad said. I always go by the thought of, is it something that I can live with down the line, flashy always seems to get old with me’. dunno, made me think of….

My favorite Wallace Stevens quote:

They said, “You have a blue guitar, you do not play things as they are.”
      The man replied, “Things as they are, are changed upon the blue guitar.”

wish I could be of more help.   bert

Hank
      Participant

In conversation with Matt (Both Hayden and Chulka) and with the input from Y’all I’ve decided that the Tuxedo look of the Dark Blackwood and the very light Moon Spruce would be a long lived “Classic”…….so it shall be.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.