TOP 5 SONGS TO KNOW FOR AN ACOUSTIC GATHERING

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion TOP 5 SONGS TO KNOW FOR AN ACOUSTIC GATHERING

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Thought this might spark some on going dialogue.   I had a potential buyer for one of my guitars over a few days back.

As we we were discussing preferences on acoustic music styles the band Traffic came up and boom off we both went on playing Wasted and I cant find my way home, Blind Faith.    Been there maybe once in life haha..  Anyhow both of us are in our 60’s so 60’S folk to rock tunes were of strong interest for both of us.

For fun I thought it could be an enjoyable thread to start listing tunes that might be required for a player’s in the round/square ,triangle what ever for whenever we should all gather again for SCGC celebration.

Maybe 3-5 tunes with basic chord progressions could help us all to be on the same page.

One of my favorites has been the Bands “The Weight” in the key of A,    A-C#m-D-A  as played on The Last Waltz.

Lets here/see your suggestions

haasome
        Participant

We also go off on The Weight using same progression you mentioned above — and we do some great (and awful ) things to that song. The other night we got into a groove playing Deportee, Hobos Lullaby,  Mr Bojangles (Jerry Jeff version), and Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright. Kind of a kumbaya time for all.

– Paul –

Old 97
          Participant

Friend of the Devil and Ripple are pretty popular these days.

Angeline the Baker two chords for jamming. I learned it from Daniel Nestlerode.

Deep Ellum Blues. Deep River Blues. Hey Joe.

Hank
            Participant

Had my insurance agent over on friday. Played these
              Friend Of The Devil
              Blackbird…beatles
              Greenback Dollar
              The Weight…In G, Bm, C.D
              The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Hank
              Participant

Sooo…. Dee leaned over my shoulder and looked at what I had posted……
                She said you forgot the “BEST”….Blue Sky- and A Pirate Looks At Forty….she is right !!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrisakadigdog
                Participant

Willie Blue Sky?    A good Waylon song always perks some attention as well.    Momma  don’t let your baby’s grow up to be Cowboy’s /Cowgirl,s

Hank
                    Participant

Not Willie….Allman Brothers

Chrisakadigdog
                      Participant

What chord progression due you use for Bluesky?

Hank
                        Participant

E,B,A,E= VERSE
                          B,A,E,A,F#m = Chorus
                          E,A,E,A,E,B,C#,A5= riff after 1st/2nd Chorus

Hank
                          Participant

By the way……Who here can play the Dickey Betts lead on this ?
                            When I worked at Squaw Valley about 1973 we used to put batteries and a tape deck in our backpacks connect some earphones and run KT-22 nonstop to this song as we cleared the mountain at the end of a day…….”But , I was much younger then, and I’m older than that now. “

Daniel
                          Participant

Every country/culture seems to have a different word for jam or a different way to jam if that use that word.

In the UK, a participatory event is called a “session,” but it’s not really a jam.  More of a song circle, and if you play along, you sort of need to arrange that with the person singing before the song starts.

A jam here in les-Hauts-de-France is an amplified event (Rock being KING in this neck o’ the woods –not sure about other parts of France).  It starts with a short set from a band and then people in the room are encouraged to get up 2 or 3 at time and play a few numbers before relinquishing their spot to someone else.  You Do Not bring your own amp.  You can bring your own instrument or borrow one from the organiser, a guy who has carried in and set up the PA, a drum kit, a decent keyboard, a bass, an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, and all the required sound reinforcement along with a few lights.

(I learned all of this the hard way and speaking very little French. 😉 )

Claudine and I have hosted house concerts in England, and done one in France so far.  At these I usually lead a more American version of a jam afterward.  I find three chords songs indispensable:
                            Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
                            Helpless
                            Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
                            You Ain’t Going Nowhere

But my guitar player, Julien, is a huge Neil Young fan.  So we end up playing
                            Powerderfinger
                            Down by the River
                            Old Man
                            Harvest Moon
                            …etc, etc…

🙂

Daniel

Hank
                            Participant

A bunch of good songs suggested here…Hope I can make the party.

Chrisakadigdog
                              Participant

Daniel I’d think Cinnamon Girl, acoustic or electric would fit nicely.    Three chord songs , nice and easy. YEAH

Daniel
                                Participant

Y’all are welcome any time you’re in France.  We’re a little over an hour from Charles de Gaulle airport, Paris.  🙂

Daniel

Old 97
                                  Participant

I’m working on it.

Daniel
                                      Participant

I’m warming up the coffee maker!

😀

D

Chrisakadigdog
                                      Participant

We need some more song and chord progression suggestions

indexless
                                        Keymaster

How ’bout electric gathering?

Hank
                                          Participant

When did SCGC build volt eaters ?
                                            St. James Infirmary…. Am,E7th/E, Am, E7th/E, Dm, E/E7th, Am, F, E7th, Am.
                                            The way Ramblin Jack Elliott and Dave Van Ronk Did It….WITH FEELING..
                                            ” Can’t You See”….D,C9th, G…..WITH FEELING..
                                            “Born On The Bayou” C7th (5th fret), D(5th Fret), A (5th Fret)….With Feeling)
                                            ……………Y’ALL………….

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Hank.
                                            • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Hank.
                                              Chrisakadigdog
                                              Participant

A couple of our very own Bay Area troubadours,  Jack n John.  Good stuff

indexless
                                              Keymaster

That’s funny…..I thought all were welcome 🙂

Hank
                                                  Participant

Mate… Just a question…not a rejection.

Chrisakadigdog
                                                  Participant

Acoustic/electric lady land band@@?

Daniel
                                                    Participant

Tear My Stillhouse Down, Gillian Welch

Just Call Me Lonesome, Radney Foster

Old Silver, Radney Foster

Up on Cripple Creek, The Band

Ophelia, The Band

🙂

D

Chrisakadigdog
                                                      Participant

The music of Traffic has been a steady soundtrack for me through the decades

Forty thousand Headmen.  Am- Dm-Am-Dm-Am-Dm-Am-Dm-C-Am

Dear Mr Fantasy. A-G-D-A.   CHORUS. Fm-A

Chrisakadigdog
                                                          Participant

Headman should be . Em- Am-Bm-Am-Bm-Am-Bm-G-Em

tadol
                                                          Senior Moderator

Running thru my list –

Act Naturally – Beatles

Bad Moon Rising – CCR

Brown Eyed Girl – VM

Crazy Love – VM

Don’t Think Twice – BD

well crap – thats 5 and I didn’t even make it thru the Ds –

Hank
                                                            Participant

Can’t have a jam without Jimmy Buffett .
                                                              “One Particular Harbor”…
                                                              Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season”
                                                              “A Pirate Looks at Forty”
                                                              “Fins”
                                                              I won’t include Margaritaville….because I’m SICK OF IT.

indexless
                                                              Keymaster

Nobody know’s you when your down and out    Derrick and the Dominos

Honey Bee  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Honey Bee   Mudy Waters

Everything is going to be OK Ry Cooder

Chrisakadigdog
                                                                Participant

Tom Petty a must! Van Morrison a classic got to.

Chrisakadigdog
                                                                  Participant

John Prine’s  “Angel from Montgomery”.  D-G-A.   Verses.     D-C-G.  Chorus

John Hyatt.  “Cry Love”. C-G -Am.        G-D-Em. Alt.

tadol
                                                                    Senior Moderator

Ok – more –

First cut is the deepest –

Have you ever seen the rain – CCR

If you could read my mind – GL

Jambalaya –

King of the road –

that gets me up to K –

if anyone else uses OnSong or keeps their music in ChordPro format, lemme know if you wanna swap some  charts!

indexless
                                                                      Keymaster

Tadol,

I use Guitar Tabs..huge library

Hank
                                                                        Participant

ultimate-guitar.com
                                                                          just renewed…. $21.99 p/y
                                                                          Tabs, chords,backing tracks,

indexless
                                                                          Keymaster

Z Man  there is a lot there for sure

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.