Tony Rice

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Old 97
      Participant

a great American tragedy

Tony has lost his voice. His arthritis has limited if not destroyed his playing.

i look for updates and don’t find any.

Daniel
        Participant

Tony is suffering from Dysphonia (I think that’s what it’s called).  It also affects Linda Thompson.
          I had not heard about arthritis.

I hope he’s able to play, as Les Paul was, even with arthritis.

Daniel

indexless
          Keymaster

I thank Mr Rice for all he has given us…a true master

Hank
            Participant

His Recordings and Videos will be his gift to all of us who struggle to play even a little bit.
              Thanks Mr. Rice……Fair Winds and Please”’Never Give Up.

Old 97
              Participant

From last November 29, 2017

Friends and Fans of Tony Rice. With many inquiries regarding Tony, I’d like to say thank you (!), each and everyone, for your kind thoughts, prayers, wishes, songs, and stories of your moments touched by Tony and his music. Tony is still dealing with debilitating conditions which prevent him from doing what he’s built his entire life around, and that is, PLAYING HIS GUITAR. It is EXTREMELY emotional, and difficult for him, but it is something he deals with on a daily basis, and takes it one day at a time. He does hope to play again one day, but until he is able to get back out there, all we can do, is try to encourage and support him in any way we can. Tony is a very private person and had to be persuaded to allow us to make a plea to his fans for support, ( to which you’ve all been so kind and generous and shown Tony that you DO WANT to help him, which has done a great deal towards his healing❤️). That said, I want to remind everyone that every single dollar that is sent, has no administrative fees added. There is no office to which salaries must be paid. It ALL GOES TO TONY. As far as this Facebook page goes, I am picking up where we left off a couple years ago… ( too long of a story why there has been a lapse in posts here, on this page ) so, we will make an effort to let fans know how and what Tony is up to. I’ve added an email address for Tony and he will hopefully be checking it, so, feel free to leave him messages either here, or at the email address (tonyricefoundation@gmail.com) Again, on behalf of Tony Rice, THANK YOU from the depths of our hearts ?

Hank
                  Participant

Old97….Please advise me on this forum how we might help Mr.Rice.
                    i have purchased his Music and have purchased a T.R. model Elliot Capo… I understand that some of the $$ of that purchase went to Mr. Rice.
                    Please advise the members of this Forum how we may contribute DIRECTLY to him.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by indexless.
                  Anonymous

I was fortunate to see Tony Rice and David Grisman in concert play many of Dexter Johnson’s vintage collection of guitars and mandolins which I think led to the original Tone Poems concert  and recordings.  It was a very special memorable evening/concert at Carmel’s Sunset Center. W@W!   THANK YOU TONY RICE .

Matt Hayden
                    Participant

Hard to hear that he’s losing the ability to play. He’s played and written a lot of great music and has effected a lasting change in music.   Time to contribute something to helping him if there’s a way –

pto
                      Participant

I was fortunate to see Tony Rice and David Grisman in concert play many of Dexter Johnson’s vintage collection of guitars and mandolins which I think led to the original Tone Poems concert and recordings. It was a very special memorable evening/concert at Carmel’s Sunset Center.

in 2001, i acquired the 1991 10th-anniversary SCGC Tony Rice that Dexter lent Tony for the Sunset Center Concert (the Tone Poems Tour could did not have access to all of the instruments on the album, logistically).  It (#5/10) was Dexter’s personal guitar from the edition.  exquisite woods and tone.  the guitar is signed inside by Otis B. Rodeo, himself, Jeff Traugott and Adam Rose – and Tony and Richard on the label, of course. i have always wished that David would make available whatever recordings he has of that concert.  alas.

more importantly,

i have been in contact with Tony over the last 15 or so years for various reasons.  as of my last conversation with him, he volunteered that he has not been able to play guitar for quite a long time.  i can’t remember now exactly when he said the last time was, but i believe i figured it had to be around the last times he played with Peter Rowan, Bryn Davies and Sharon Gilchrist.  i hope 2019 is good to Tony. the best bluegrass voice ever, quoting from and article in either Flatpicking Guitar or Acoustic Guitar (too lazy to look it up), and we all know about his readily identifiable style and clean tone.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by indexless.
                          Anonymous

Very Nice .What special provenance to have THE 10th anniversary TR.!

I remember the line to get in went up San Carlos to 8th st.

Wishing the best for Tony.

pto
                            Participant

correction to my post (can’t find a way to edit on this forum) – the 10th anniversary Tony was 1991, not 93.

indexless
                              Keymaster

fixed to 1991

bert
                              Participant

My main guitar for 6yrs. I’ve never played one lick of bluegrass but my SC Tony Rice was like it’s namesake, very very special and went everywhere with me. Tony’s version of ‘Early Morning Rain’ has been my fav since forever… oops, sorry Gordon.  facts is facts as Dizzie Dean used to say:

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.