Tip for learning riffs: sleep

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Tip for learning riffs: sleep

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Don’t spend too much time practicing a riff the first day you learn it. Memorize it then get a bit of muscle memory going, then stop. The next day after you will wake up you’ll be 2x as good as when you stopped playing the day before.

At least that’s how it works for me.

Anonymous

Don’t spend too much time practicing a riff the first day you learn it. tech news Memorize it then get a android 9 bit of muscle memory going, then stop. free netflix The next day after you will wake up you’ll be 2x as good as when you stopped playing the day before.

At least that’s how it works for me.

Matt Hayden
          Participant

That’s called integration.  When we do machine learning, we use it as a technique – e.g., holding back actual production use until context is achieved through additional ingestion, sampling, and initial use (and scoring of responses).

All of which says “practice and then sleep on it!”   Naps: the secret to practice.

Hank
            Participant

All of which says “practice and then sleep on it!” Naps: the secret to practice.
              Matt, I’m 72..I’m good at naps…I’ll learn all of the runs….as soon as I wake up from my nap.

indexless
              Keymaster

I wish I could take naps, lucky man…but I have been trying this and it works!

Matt Hayden
                Participant

Zorro: write a book:  “Naps: the ancient ancestral wisdom of the guitarist. [WITH TAB]”   🙂
                  You’ll make a million!

Hank
                  Participant

Matt,
                    I have decided that to fight off “Old Age” finger stiffness I am going to begin learning more runs and playing more scales.
                    I want to get beyond the plateau that I have been at for awhile.
                    So based upon the above “integration learning” program I will be doing nothing but playing guitar and napping…..with the occasional break for consuming adult beverages……

Daniel
                    Participant

Zorro, my foxy friend, you should start playing fiddle tunes.  Look up flatpicking lessons on You tube and dig in.  Way more fun than scales alone.

🙂

Daniel

indexless
                      Keymaster

Fiddle tunes will loosen you up. You tube is a great resource!

Silly Moustache
                        Participant

Hi, newbie (to this forum) here:

I used to say that when I went on vacation/holiday and didn’t take a guitar with me if I was away from it for two weeks, it would take me two months to get back to an acceptable standard.

I had a trigger finger op done on 22nd Feb and had my right hand bandaged for two weeks. As I couldn’t do much with the right, my left hand did all the lifting and other stuff, and I’m still trying to get it to move properly. Dunno which hand is the worst. Good job I’m a lefty playing righty!

BTW – to help with stiffness -this “might” help:   https://youtu.be/iMnrArFbkxU

https://youtu.be/iMnrArFbkxU

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.