The Sound of Sycamore?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All about the wood The Sound of Sycamore?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Barber Derek
      Participant

Hey all,

Just curious, I think that Sycamore is visually striking and such a neat option as a domestic wood, but what about the sound?

Anyone have a SCGC Sycamore guitar or know what other type of wood (sonically) it compares to?

Daniel
        Participant

My Gary Vessel F5 mandolin has a Sycamore back.  It’s also called English maple, though in England they cal them Plain trees.

The sound is somewhere to the maple side of a spectrum between maple and mahogany.

I hope that helps!

Daniel

bert
          Participant

I have no experience with sycamore, CFM and Tayor have built with it but…. ?

https://youtu.be/PMYAi3RQyTk

Hank
            Participant

Don’t much care for that …….but that’s just me.

tadol
              Senior Moderator

That may be more torrified top than sycamore – the sycamore looks great, but it wont put mahogany or eir out of business – or even maple –

Barber Derek
                Participant

Thanks for weighing in, that is interesting.

Barber Derek
                  Participant

Thanks, yeah, it is so sad, my first SCGC guitar hasn’t even arrived yet, (tho I think it could be coming sometime this month) and I’m already having fantasies about what I want to do for my next SCGC order! 🙂

tadol
                    Senior Moderator

Not sad – you’ve just hit a milestone in your appreciation of fine instruments. You’re trying to keep control waiting for your guitar, and all you can do is imagine.  Once you get it, you’ll probably loose the desire to get another right away – but as time goes by, that may (probably will) change  –   😉

Hank
                      Participant

I rarely disagree with Tad ….but, once you have ordered a custom build from SCGC you NEVER stop imagining the specs of another model that you can’t live without.

Looking forward to your report on your soon to be delivered SC?

Barber Derek
                        Participant

Thanks, I will definitely try to post some pics when it arrives!

indexless
                          Keymaster

Majestic…..the forum is kind of funky in posting pictures…don’t be distressed if it requires moderation, we’ll get them right up

Barber Derek
                            Participant

Thanks, looks like my guitar will be delayed due to the wildfires but I hope to see it in the next month or so.  I got an email from Carolyn about 10 days ago with a status update, but, of course, living here in California myself I know that these fires have changed our lives dramatically.  However long I have to wait for my first SCGC guitar I know it will be worth it!

Matt Hayden
                              Participant

Sycamore has a lot of damping. It needs a great builder to stiffen it, as SCGC has done.  I’ll still take the old standards.

Chrisakadigdog
                                Participant

I think I may have seen a Sycamore build on one of the benches  a couple of weeks ago while doing some COVID carpentry for them

Old 97
                                  Participant

I played just one Sycamore Cruz. Top was Spruce of some kind. Right purty.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.