The Devil Is In It”

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Just ordered the subject book.

have been having very enjoyable emails back and forth with the author.

He indicates he owns a SCGC PJ……man has great taste.

He told me that R.H. makes an appearence in the book.

I an really looking forward to getting the book.

He is sold out of the “Collectors” edition but he says this version is beautiful.

I don’t think this is one I’ll move along through the Forum members….. It ain’t cheap.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Hank.
        thedevilisinit
        Participant

Thanks Hank for choosing to order ‘The Devil Is In It’. I’m lucky enough to own a few SCGCs. Two early 90s stock models – a ’00’ and a 12 fret 000 slotted…. and then I was lucky enough to visit the shop (I live in London UK, so wasn’t just passing by). I ordered a PJ that Richard spec’d for me… Brazilian with a honeyed Cedar top….a very plain No.48 until you turn it over!

and then Richard was kind enough to agree to make a homage to Nick Lucas on a 12 fret H – Adirondack top with an exquisite small sunburst over Maple. Needless to say they play like a dream.

indexless
          Keymaster

It’s a little unusual but Welcome to the Forum Devil…..We’re a small but fun group, thanks for joining

indexless
            Keymaster

Hi John,
              Welcome to the forum. I did not realize that you were the author of this book, I hope you can understand my thinking that welcoming the devil was unusual. It’s a great forum name, but was not aware of your book. Again, please accept my apology, it just seemed funny to me in a weird sort of way. All the best. Richard

tadol
              Senior Moderator

Wow !  Very stunning guitar –  and I guess you’re pretty lucky to have a SC in braz rw outside the US!  But I guess I missed something – what is your book about, and how does the maestro fit into it?  Be good to know, since it sounds like I can’t count on Hank to get me a copy –

😉

thedevilisinit
                  Participant

Probably easiest if you went to my website orpharionpress.com as virtually all the info is there. I’m trying not to break any ‘self promotion’ rules on the Forum but as Hank raised the topic…. Richard appears in the book… both in the section that talks about the renaissance of the American guitar in the ’70s, and in the travelogue where I detail my two month journey through the American guitar landscape… where I spent a fair bit of time interviewing RH. In 2020 Hank had asked Richard H if he could recommend a book about contemporary luthiers and unbeknownst to me RH recommended ‘The Devil Is In It’… I didn’t even know that he had a copy.

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

Spent some time on your website and found your interview with North American Guitar quite interesting – I should put this on a list for my wife to consider when (if?) I deserve a special birthday or xmas gift –

thedevilisinit
                      Participant

Hi Tadol….  you might want to hint heavily, I’m despatching about 3 books a day, mostly to the USA (I am London, UK based). At this current rate they will probably all be gone by the end of March. And when they are gone they are gone…

Barber Derek
                      Participant

Hey John Stubbins, welcome to the forum!  My name is Derek and my wife just bought me your book for our anniversary.  (#104 that went to California)

It is a wonderful read so far, love the info and the humor.  The quality of the book?  Well, let’s just say it deserves its place near my SCGC 00.

I highly recommend the book!

thedevilisinit
                          Participant

Hi Derek,

Greetings from London

Yes, I remember writing the dedication in your copy… it was very touching. You are lucky to be married to a generous and loving partner! I hope you continue to enjoy the read! Didn’t realise you had a OO – a perfect size guitar. My SC OO is a favourite…

John

Hank
                          Participant

I was not as smart as Derek’s wife…. I was not able to purchase a Collectors copy of John’s book.

But the Copy I received is just wonderful.

Derek is correct ….It is very well written and the extensive history revealed shows how much research John did into the instrument we all enjoy.

John’s comments about G.A.S and we collector/players is right on….he is one of us after all.

I’m a little over 100 pages into it and Maestro Hoover and Johns first interaction is on page 78 …. John’s obvious love for Santa Cruz Guitars is well described.

The physical book is of the quality of our SC instruments, really just a superb “feel” to it.

IT IS NOT a bed time read… This is a “Solid” Tome.

Thanks John……I’m going to keep the book in my American Music Furniture Display cabinet along with my guitars….. It deserves the same treatment as the Ramuda.

Hank
                            Participant

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/05/17/vintage-guitar-collection-nashville

This seems to fit with this thread…. Maybe John mentions this collection in his book.

thedevilisinit
                                Participant

What a collection and a generous bequest. I adore that they are trying to find a way to securely loan out the 400 of the 500 guitars that are not displayed.

Matt Hayden
                                Participant

Going to have to read it. What sale method provides the author with the largest payout?

thedevilisinit
                                    Participant

Hi Matt,

John Stubbings here… and thank you for your question, or rather the sentiment behind it. AS it happens my book is only available through the website orpharionpress.com which means I don’t have to remit 50% to Amazon!

When you go to the website you can put in a LONDON as a discount code for a 10% discount… and I’m happy for all SCGC players to use that.

Regards and Stay Safe,

John

Matt Hayden
                                      Participant

Thanks, John.  Ordered!

Hank
                                      Participant

https://orpharionpress.com/

This has become a thread on “That Other Forum”

Do not delay ordering .

I Have NO $ interest …..just recommending a great book

haasome
                                        Participant

Mine is on the way. Looks interesting.

– Paul –

Hank
                                          Participant

Finished “The Devil Is In It”…..wonderful book.

I liked it so much I put in a very safe place…..

Barber Derek
                                            Participant

Mighty fine looking display there, looks great!  I’m about halfway through the book and I feel like I learn something new and get a chuckle on just about every page.

thedevilisinit
                                                Participant

John Stubbings here… so glad Majestic Shaver you’re enjoying ‘The Devil Is In It’… and especially glad you are chuckling… very often I’m sure at my own madness and obsessive behaviour. And so proud that Hank is keeping my book with so many magnificent guitars. John

Silly Moustache
                                                Participant

Hi John et al, happy owner of book no. 81.

John’s book was right up my alley (as we Londoners would say – meaning that I#m not only an acoustic guitar nerd, but something of a guitar historian in that I’m fascinated at the rapid development of the guitar , mainly but not exclusively, in the USA during the late ’19th and 20th century. I’ve been compiling my own chronology of introduced and discontinued guitars by various brands and noting the musical changes that drove the builders to redesign etc.

Almost all of that development was due to the rapidly changing demands of popular music and the technology of recording and broadcasting.

John’s fine tome alternates chapters between his travels in the USA and those folks he meets on the way, and the history of the changes in music and its demands.

I remember many years ago, ploughing through The “Lord Of The Rings”, which I kept at my office and read during my lunch times (y’know back when working people had lunchtimes!)   and realising that I was nearing the end of the book, so I slowed down and limited myself to one chapter a day … or some such.

I had the same experience with John’s book. Late nights, after beloved spousal unit had retired and the cat had been filled up, I’d sit in my reading chair in the lounge with the book and a glass of whiskey and savour every word.

John, you done good! (and btw – I am also familiar with Dave K!)

Hank
                                                  Participant

Two Class acts.

Barber Derek
                                                      Participant

Excellent interview that features some very fine guitars as well.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.