Support your local SC player!

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Support your local SC player!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol
      Senior Moderator

My wife and I had to get away from our normalcy for a day or 2, and while driving through the little town of Tomales, saw that the local (only) bar restaurant had re-opened to patio service, and had a couple guitarists performing. It was a no-brainer to stop, order a drink, and listen to a little live music – kinda pretending it was like life pre-Covid –

Anyway – didn’t get the 2 guys names,  but did notice that one was playing a sweet SC D/PW (mahogany) which really sounded fantastic. As we were leaving (between songs), I dropped some money in the tip jar and mentioned what a great sound he was getting, and recommended he check out our forum here. Apparently, he’d just gotten the guitar back from the SC shop after another luthier had created a problem when installing a pickup – but the SC shop had made everything great, and he was thrilled –

I also noticed, without really thinking, that I was inclined to tip more heavily, simply because it was clear that they had put effort (and money) into their rig, thus creating a great live sound – and that is above and beyond their talent.

So I’ll ask – what makes you most inclined to support someone playing live?

indexless
        Keymaster

“I also noticed, without really thinking, that I was inclined to tip more heavily, simply because it was clear that they had put effort (and money) into their rig, thus creating a great live sound – and that is above and beyond their talent.”

this has the biggest effect for me. I remember seeing Eric Skye play at Flying Cat Coffee in Portland, small and unassuming, but he had a great sound…..huge difference for me

Hank
          Participant

I always tip a bit more if the player is in tune ,the voice on key , the amplifier at a level that suits the venue. Effort to be involved with the music and the crowd is always appreciated with a bit extra gratuity.

Matt Hayden
            Participant

Yeah, good playing and good engagement with the audience all play a role.

Glad you got some good times.

/mh

Barber Derek
              Participant

Oftentimes it is if the music moves me and if the performer seems engaged.  If the performer is enjoying the experience and seems to be really “sharing” rather than just going through the motions I tend want to “share” my support and drop something into the tip jar or open guitar case.

tadol
                Senior Moderator

Yeah – I got to think a bit more about it, and I realized that while I love to support live music, I love a few things –

1 – original material. Not all, but if someone has a few originals in the mix, and if I find myself thinking, wow – I wouldn’t mind hearing that again, that’s a big plus –

2 – Talent. If someone is REALLY good, and it’s clear they are putting major energies into their playing, which is easy to hear when they hit most of their runs cleanly, and they’ve got voicings in the mix that add flavor, or play a piece that clearly requires much practice to even think about – that’s another big plus –

3 – Quality of sound – this one is hard, ’cause if they are playing through the venues equipment, then you just have to say to the venue manager that they need to up their game in what they are using in house – but if the performers have brought good stuff, and have it adjusted well, and the sound quality is great, well, I can generally listen to most anything for a good long while. And they deserve a little extra for buying it, maintaining it, and having to lug it in and out of wherever –

Its great when the artist also has a great personality, and can bring that to the performance, but not all do, and not all venues lend themselves to any real interaction with the audience, so thats less a factor to me, At least, those are kinda my thoughts at this point –

Hank
                  Participant

I think what we all are saying is…..if the artist is sharing his emotion with the song and that ‘groove’ is being transmitted to the listener then we will reward the effort ?

Daniel
                    Participant

Yep.  🙂

Daniel

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.