Summertime West Coast Get Together

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Summertime West Coast Get Together

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Old 97
      Participant

Let’s make something happen.

Laurel Mill up in the mountains outside of Santa Cruz has cabins, a kitchen, showers and such. It’s a rustic place to hang and play. We could get a Mother Ship tour involved.

Tad? Hayden? Any suggestions?

Acoustic Soul
        Participant

I’d come but I’m in Texas

Daniel
          Participant

ohhh…  I so want to be there….

Daniel

indexless
            Keymaster

it’s 4000 degrees here right now…it was 102 at the shop yesterday

Old 97
              Participant

107 today.

back to the topic.

Tad, two Matts, Richard all live in California.

lets have a party.

tadol
                Senior Moderator

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Gotta check with Richard and Carolyn, see what’s on their schedules – would be great to have a bunch of other shop people available too –

But I think its a great idea – maybe a 42-½ Anniversary?

Old 97
                  Participant

We are lucky to see each other every December.

Hank
                    Participant

Dee and I are going to be in Glacier Nat. Park and Yellowstone the first couple of weeks in Sept.. When are you thinking of doing this??? That ain’t too far away.

What about digdog/Chris ?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Hank.
                      Matt Hayden
                      Participant

Hmm. Maybe August or early September sometime? I’m down for it.

Old 97
                        Participant

September appears open.

tadol
                          Senior Moderator

Septembers good for me – although my wife might be unhappy if I disappear for a whole month –

then again, she might not –

Daniel
                            Participant

I’ve got a new house.  Kitchen going in in September, bathroom in October, exterior wall insulation in October, new windows, electrical…

I don’t think I’ll make it this year.

But maybe we can host a SCGC EU gathering!

Daniel

Old 97
                              Participant

How will I fly my Brazilian Dread to France?

Daniel
                                  Participant

It might be possible for Carolyn or Richard to write up a certificate for the Brazilian.

Matt Hayden
                                  Participant

Carefully….

tadol
                                    Senior Moderator

I think an EU meet-up would be amazing!  Next year, though – so Daniel has enough time to fix the place up for us all.  😉

Maybe we can find a couple european dealers that would want to help, tie it into an event that maybe Richard and Carolyn need to go to anyway. Take a bit of planning, but it would be a serious life-memory event!

Matt Hayden
                                      Participant

I’m down for that,.

Old 97
                                        Participant

Maybe in 2020. 2019 is already spent.

Daniel
                                          Participant

Indeed.  SCGC meet-up EU should happen after all the renovations and Claudine and I sort out schedules.  So in 2020.

April 1-4 is Musikmesse in Frankfurt, which is about 5 hours east by car.  But a direct line from Paris by train, so about 6 and a half hours form Laon.

There are a couple SCGC dealers in Paris, the one in Orly looks promising as they are also an authorised repair place.  Orly is the other side of Paris from us.  It’s about 2.5hrs by car, depending on Paris traffic.  Paris traffic doesn’t compare to Bay Area or LA traffic, but it almost never eases up.

Maybe we could get help from the mothership in developing their interest.

Our area is pretty amazing in terms of things to do and see.  Lots happening in Laon depending on the time of year.  The catherdral is magnificent.  If you’re into WWI history you can walk trenches, view the former front on the Chemin des Dames from an observatory tower over the destroyed town of Craonne.  (There are lots of ‘villages detruit’ in our area, I’ve seen most of them.  Chamouille, where I live at the moment, was here before the Napoleonic Wars and was far enough into German occupied territory during WWI that it wasn’t destroyed by shelling in the Nivelle offensive.)  There are pubs and clubs, etc.

So have a look online and bring your families.

Daniel

Old 97
                                            Participant

Darie hits the half century mark in 2020. I want her to see Paris. Saving money now.

Daniel
                                                Participant

Cool. 🙂

Old 97
                                                Participant

Time to bring a Grateful Dead Jam to a local pub.

Daniel
                                                    Participant

Oh dear God no.  The jams in this area aren’t lots of fun if you can actually play.  The Dead would break a few minds I think!  😉

tadol
                                                    Senior Moderator

Santa Cruz in ‘19, Paris in ‘20!

gotta get a bigger loose change jar –

Matt Hayden
                                                      Participant

If camping or RVing is ok, Lake Del Valle Park in Livermore is cheap and easy to book ahead of time:

Link: https://www.ebparks.org/parks/del_valle/

There are cabins available, and hotels reasonably close by for those who don’t want to camp.

They allow campfires, so we have jam-spots – and the campsites are far enough apart that as long as the playing is acoustic, we’ll be fine.

I’ve done jams during the annual Two-Day Town music festival there, and it’s worked well.

It’s usually hot during the day and cools down quite a lot at night, so it’s comfortable for sleeping.

Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                                                        Old 97
                                                        Participant

Summer came and went. November and December in California are rather wonderful.

Lets do it!

Matt Hayden
                                                          Participant

Well, we now have a side deck with a 16’ yurt (looooong story) in addition to the office and the music room, all of which can be repurposed for sleeping or jam.   And there are airbnb and regular bnb here in the village.   The house isn’t big but there might be enough space for jams outdoor on the porch or in the yurt….

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                                                            Old 97
                                                            Participant

One step closer

tadol
                                                              Senior Moderator

16’ Yurt?!?  Thats a story I think I need to hear –

Hank
                                                                Participant

What were Yurt thinking ?

I thought building codes were tough in Ca.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Hank.
                                                                  Matt Hayden
                                                                  Participant

Heh. This didn’t sell at our annual flea market and the former owner gave it to us. As long as it’s standalone, it’s fine with building code.

It’s turning out to be where Beth & friends hang out.  I need to claim it as a jamspace :). Hence the suggestion that visitors bring guitars and prepare to make noise.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                                                                Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.