stringing a slothead

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

After reading all the stories of bloody carnage that seems to surround the stringing of a slot head, and since I expect to be dealing with a 000 slothead early next year, i have only one question.

How does SCGC do it ? Maybe Richard Newman could produce a short video on the process ?

Or…Bert show us how you use the electric string winder technique you mentioned to Dannymeeg.

I’ll have to learn or plan on leaving the guitar to my family with very old and dull strings…..

bert
        Participant

Hank, one of our members put up an excellent ya’lltube vid on the subject.

Andy’s method is using a European battery powered winder similar to the Ernie Ball winder I have. The main reason the winder is so helpful is that you must use one hand to guide the string as it winds, without the winder you will be fighting trying to hold and wind manually.

Some people use a std drill with a special winder attachment… the problem with this method is that you just don’t have tight control of the speed, the battery winders are geared to the speed needed to get a tight wind without overlapping the wire. Hope this helps.    bert

Hank
          Participant

Thanks Bert……. I had forgotten about old Andy’s  Video.

I have now “Bookmarked” it for future reference.

Thanks Andy….very good video.

Anonymous

Note that you don’t want any strings contacting the wood of the slot head. The Collings that I have doesn’t have that problem. Martins and others do. I’ve never had a SC guitar with a slot head. What that means is on many guitars you string the E and e strings on the inside of the string hole in the peg head and the rest of the strings on the outside. And as one who just recently acquired an electric string winder I’ll claim it is well worth it, especially with slot heads.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.