string squeak

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

As I am playing more “traveling” chords up the neck and doing more “sliding” into the notes while finger picking I am experiencing more string squeak .

I use only SCGC strings…both Low and Mid tensions. The dreaded squeak is less on the Lows but still audible.

After not playing for 3 weeks while traveling in the mountains I am building the callasuses back up but still have a way to go before they are back all the way.

My question….any artificial product that I can put on the strings (or my finger tips) to reduce the annoying sound. OR…..technique , technique, technique ????

Matt Hayden
        Participant

None of the products which purport to help with this really do much except make your strings greasy, imho.

It’s really a technique thing, and it comes with time and lots of playing.  Be patient with yourself and keep playing – it comes with time and familiarity with the fingerboard.

Matt Hayden
          Participant

Ps learning tunes like Duke’s ‘Satin Doll’ might be good practice, as the finger movements and baseline chord changes require a certain amount of moving fingers around the neck in ways that train your hands…..

Hank
              Participant

I have been playing “Melissa” by the Allman Bros.

Moving  (sliding) the F#m ,G#m chords and the Bm, C#m up and down  the neck.

Making up my own finger picking for it.

I should just practice lifting my left hand and not slide…..i love the progression and especially playing A on the 567 fret fingering then back up to the Bm…….mellow.

Matt Hayden
              Participant

That’s a good idea.  Ping me via email and I’ll throw you a couple of progressions which might help you get up that curve.

Old 97
                Participant

Bob Weir used to spray his strings with Finger Ease.

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

It works but I find it makes things too slippery for me……

cue comments…..

Hank
                    Participant

Many thanks to BOTH Matts……

Matt H for sending me 2 of the longest emails I’ve EVER received . He sent me an entire Doctorial thesis on Jazz/Blues chord fingerings , timing, rhythm and theory. I guess he forgot I’m almost 73 and my remaining time is shorter rather than longer…… I remember at the 40th everyone talking about his Jazz Centric style of playing , even on  the 34 Zorro Dread.

And to Matt S for his suggestion on Bob Weir using Finger Ease. Knowing Matt S is a music teacher and still suggests a short cut is cool.

I’m going in tomorrow to have several more large hunks of hide cut out and stiched  up,so I’ll be inside for the next week or so….lots of time to practice…practice….practice.

I will try both.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Hank.
                      Daniel
                      Participant

I ahve two thoughts at this late date.

1) embrace the squeak.  I’ve heard a few times in recordings. It makes them sound authentically acoustic.

2) Use a set of strings with smaller winding wire or coated strings, like Elixirs.

73 or or 54 (me), it’s only when you stop learning that you get old.  🙂

Fair winds masked man!

Daniel

Old 97
                        Participant

Zorro, I teach other guitarists how to make mistakes and call them jazz.

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

Dang, you stole my line!

Hank
                            Participant

Daniel,

I used to use Elixers….but I REALLY like the sound of the SC strings and the SCs last  and last.

I change the strings on all the Remuda every trimester and just received 5 sets from the Mothership yesterday.

I do agree that “some” squeak is part of the game with acoustics but my continuing advancement in playing up the neck with alternate fingerings creates more squeak than I like especially when “Plugged in”.

I have given in to Dee’s requests to play at her Sunday open Jams (at least one time) and the songs she likes best are “Quiet” finger pick/light strum style.

Melissa , St James Infirmary , Sunday Morning Coming Down , Nobody Knows You.

I tried rubbing some Fast Fret on my finger tips last night and that DID help and I didn’t notice any diminished string sustain, but I think it is going to be Technique that ultimitly solves the problem.

By the way how is the new CD coming along ? Look forward to your update on the Recording page of the Forum.

Hank
                              Participant

PROBLEM 90% SOLVED…..while working with some of the chords Matt H sent me I realized how DAMN LAZY I had become.

Cure : LIFT…GLIDE….LAND. Makes all the difference .

Matt Hayden
                                Participant

It’s not laziness so much as needing time with different shapes to get your left hand accustomed to a good hike up and down the fingerboard.   :). And like a good hike, it’s a workout.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.