Some interesting Rosewood news

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Some interesting Rosewood news

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster
      Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

This is good news for the musical instruments builders and players.  Exemptions for finished instruments but still regulates the raw sourcing.  A win win.

Daniel
      Participant

Maybe it’ll  be safe to ship my Mauel 000 soon.  🙂

D

Matt Hayden
        Participant

LMK when and we can take a shot at it. 🙂

Acoustic Soul
      Participant

That’s really cool!  Is there any Brazilian left worth buying sonically?  Forget the astronomical price, if someone doesn’t mind buying it does the stuff they still use at SC fulfill that need?  I’ve tried EIR and Cocobolo and found I prefer Mahogany to both.  I heard some Brazilian in person and it’s been the rosewood I liked so far for it’s woody clear balance and type of overtone… it’s not TOO dense.  It’s richness is more palatable and versatile for me

Matt Hayden
        Participant

The answer is, as it always is with natural materials, “it depends.”

I’ve seen sets that looked wonderful and straight grained that didn’t sound that great and wood that looked wildly unstable that did.   It’s about choosing the right material and the right builder – and, honestly, the player’s touch has a lot to do with it.  Listen to Lawrence Juber – I’ve heard him perform on a variety of his Martin OM models with different b/s woods from Braz to Indian to Madrose to whatever else, and he always sounds like himself.

Old 97
      Participant

Mahogany is a Best Buy. I love its sound. Brazilian is overrated, just like the Tree. Prices are ridiculously high and the resale is punishing. It’s like buying a Lexus instead of a Toyota. Both get you to the same destination,

I have three Brazilian guitars, each with a different top wood. I also have Wenge and Mahogany. Tops are Adirondack, Carpathian, German Spruce, and Sitka.

indexless
      Keymaster
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.