Small body guitars and boxy tone

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company Small body guitars and boxy tone

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bigshoe
      Participant

Why is it that some small body guitars have a boxy or nasally tone while others don’t while same type of bracing? Is there anything you can look for or ask about before buying one on-line to avoid the boxy tone?

Thanks

Bigshoe
        Participant

Crickets

Old 97
          Participant

Be patient, Grasshopper. Richard gets busy.

Bigshoe
              Participant

No doubt, thought others could answer as well.

Old 97
              Participant

Richard tried to sell me on the H Model in 1981. I thought it had a boxy sound and stuck with the Dread. Now I would go for a Skye for my first choice.

Richard Hoover
                Senior Moderator

Dear Big Shoe,

Until the 1870’s guitars were only made loud enough to be heard in the biggest room in the house; the parlor. It wasn’t until Guitar’s began to share the stage with barking dogs and banjos that they needed to be made larger and louder. Today with microphones and sophisticated amplification a smaller bodied guitar can hold its own anywhere.

Big brands have reintroduced small guitars in response to renewed popularity. Unfortunately they now size the woods heavier than in the past to fit into their more modern production systems for both efficiency and durability. The bracing is disproportionately large and stiffer then needed. This makes them sonically restricted, less responsive and, well, boxy sounding. SCGC chooses to build our small bodied guitars with woods sized appropriate to the original lighter, more resonate specifications. This results in an instrument with all the sophisticated tone of their earlier brethren. We gain durability through the same advances in engineering that allow the modern automobile or airplane to be many times stronger and yet many times lighter than the early designs.

If we get the chance to build one for you I can guaranty that you will get exactly what you want. You won’t need to worry about a boxy sound. Until then…

All the best,                                                                                                                                                                                       Richard Hoover

Bigshoe
                  Participant

Thanks, much appreciated..

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.