SCGC Strings

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      haasome
      Participant

I’m a total fan of SCGC instruments. Their guitars are as good as any and better than most by a long shot. And I admire the company and the people that work at SCGC. But I’ve had a love-hate relationship with SCGC strings. I always use them on a couple of my guitars because they play and sound terrific on those guitars. While they always feel good and play well, I don’t love the tone on many of my guitars. I wish it were otherwise, but in general I think that’s fine.

There has been one recurring issue that I can’t get passed. I find that the #1 E string frequently has dark corrosion spots. They appear sometimes on the #2 B string, but not as often. I just strung up 2 guitars with SCGC low tension strings and noticed the dark spots on strings directly from 2 packages. When I inspected another guitar I had strung up last week using SCGC strings, I noticed small spots on that one too. The spots don’t seem to affect the tone or longevity of the strings, but it doesn’t seem optimal.

I keep my house at 45%RH and buy strings from different sources. I believe I got the most recent strings directly from SCGC, so I don’t think it is me or my sourcing. I do wonder about the packaging because SCGC packaging reminds me of John Pearse packaging and I often have a similar issue with JP strings.  Do any of you notice the spots? And — Yes, I will give the Shop a heads up, but wanted to check in here first.

– Paul –

Hank
        Participant

Paul,

I have not had the corroison spots on my SCGC String but I DO on the Elixer Nanoweb Cuctom Lights I use on the SCGC F.

I use the SCGC lites on all the guitars excepting the 12 er and the 2 Dreads. The dreads get SCGC Mids., although Digdog has suggested I try the Martin  Vintage (?) on my Martin.

I have put the SCGC DADGADS lites on the new 000 and am in awe of the tone. The 000 came with SC Lites and it sounded fantastic but as Carolyn sent me several set of the DADGAD for a birthday present , I changed out a week ago to the DADGAD Lites.  The main difference is “Feel”…. The DADGADS “Feel” a bit Fuller. I have not noticed any spots yet.

I also get my SC strings direct from the shop.

I have about 10 sets of SC strings now and I keep them in a drawer of the Guitar cabinet in the sealed bags that SC mails them to me.

Living in S.W. Florida the house is usually AC running and 50% humidity.

wbb90TR
          Participant

I have had a couple of SC medium sets that had the same black corrosion spots that you have experienced. I inquired about them with SCGC and they sent out replacement sets. I am still using the mediums on my ’90 TR. I occasionally string up with Martin Monels just for a change.

Walter

Chrisakadigdog
            Participant

Of the 3 sets of SCGC lite strings I’ve used non have had the black spot issue .  They sure do last a long time with great tone .  The other long lasting strings I use aside from elixir are Martin retro monel that  Hank mentioned .

wbb90TR
              Participant

I agree with Hank and Chris, the SCGC mediums and the Martin retro monels each last a long time.

W

dwarfrat
                Participant

I’ve had the strings on my OM since before Covid started. No crust, but I can hear its time to get a new set.

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

I’m discovering there’s a real problem with the SC strings lasting so long – it takes a little effort to stop and realize that you haven’t changed strings in 6, 9, 12 or more months! So you change them, and YOW! Suddenly you realize how incredible your guitar really sounds – but then, you don’t stop to think about it again for 6 months, or 9, or .  .  .

Regular strings are easier, as it’s only weeks until it’s time to change them –

wbb90TR
                    Participant

Tad,

I agree. I date the wrapper when I install a set and tuck it in the case. After months I get curious and pull it out to check. Always amazed at how much time has passed. Change them and yes, am amazed once again.

Walter

haasome
                      Participant

According to SCGC, they have decided to vacuum seal all our strings within the packaging. They have had a few reports of tarnishing and, although it didn’t affect the performance or longevity they feel their new packaging will address this issue. SCGC keeps pushing the envelope (so to speak.)

– Paul –

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.