Santa Cruz H Models?

Tagged: 

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Barber Derek
      Participant

Hi, soliciting some advice for my first SCGC guitar purchase. I tend to like the smaller bodied guitars, so I’m intrigued by both the H13 and a shorter scale H12?

Is the H13 a deeper bodied guitar than the H12?

My playing style is best characterized as singer-songwriter in a folk pop style with both flat picking and fingerpicking.
        Any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome Majestic! Thanks for the questions…I’m sure there will be a robust response!

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

Had an h13 and loved it.  Although I ordered it in EIR and wished I had done adirondack mahogany.  Santa cruz does mahogany so well and I personally think it suits their voicing.  The H13 is enchanting.

I sold it to get an OM Grand because I needed more airspace and more low end to support strumming and singing.  Although the smaller Santa Cruz guitars are loud, I find they are not suited to all out gusto – more for ‘sensible’ playing.  I think the H13 would do great for folk.  Yes it has a deeper body.

For your first one… I would suggest going certainly for any upgrades you want.  Adirondack, mahogany, hide glue… they build a great guitar but the upgrades take it all the way there to 100% in my opinion.

It does have a bluesy folky enchanting sound in the H13, different than OO

Hank
            Participant

https://santacruzguitar.com/otis-taylor/………….My O.T. provides ALL you want.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Hank.
              haasome
              Participant

I owned an H13 Adirondack/Mahogany. I loved the guitar for finger style, but couldn’t quite make it work to my taste using a pick. It was a dream to play with plenty of head room and I can’t quite put my finger on why it didn’t work for me. I found it to be very dry with a strong focus of fundamental tone. After  1.5 years of trying to love it, I moved it along. I thoroughly enjoy my SCGC OM (euro/EIR) and SCGC OMG (euro/Cocobolo). I still think about the H13 though and might circle back to that model at some point.

– Paul –

Acoustic Soul
                Participant

Haasome that is spec for spec my same experience

Barber Derek
                  Participant

Thank you so much for your input, I’m definitely looking forward to customizing it to the extent my budget will allow.

Barber Derek
                    Participant

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, very useful information.

Barber Derek
                      Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give that model a look as well.

Old 97
                        Participant

My favorite Cruz lately have had either Sitka or Redwood tops.

tadol
                          Senior Moderator

I’d not worry so much about the woods – worry about the specs (nut, saddle, neck shape, scale) and really understand what you want in terms of tone & attack, how you like the balance, and if you’re playing for yourself, or performing for others.  Then, find some time to talk to Richard or Carolyn and see what they think they can recommend or build for you.

Or, keep your eyes open and try as many as you can get your hands on – you may even enjoy finding one or two used to buy and spend some time with. You generally can’t go wrong with a used Santa Cruz –

I’ve heard so many people who just love their H-13 – I just didn’t bond with one. Not yet, at least. That said, I love my H-14, and I would love to try out an H-12 – and yes, SCGC does some incredible work with mahogany!

Barber Derek
                            Participant

That’s interesting you mention that, I’ve been thinking a Redwood top and Mahogany back and sides H-13 would be a pretty cool combination.

Barber Derek
                              Participant

Good suggestion Re: meeting with SCGC. I’m actually going to be visiting SCGC later this week for a tour and sone time with Richard; I’m sure he’ll guide me in the right direction.

indexless
                                Keymaster

My H was magical

RetiredFire
                                  Participant

I have a rosewood/adi H13 that I ordered with a wider nut and bridge spacing. I love the robust tone and prominent bass…not bad for a smaller body guitar. I play primarily finger style but some strumming…does both very well.  It also plays well tuned down. Overall, a beautiful, multipurpose guitar built in the usual Santa Cruz perfection.

2019 SC 000 mahogany/European spruce
                                    2018 SC H13 rosewood/Adirondack spruce
                                    2020 SC 00 Skye cocobolo/Adirondack spruce (summer)
                                    2012 Martin 00028VS rosewood/Sitka spruce

Hank
                                    Participant

I play my H-13 O.T. almost every day….Madi/Italian……A blues singer !

Barber Derek
                                      Participant

Thanks for all the input. I ended up ordering a custom 00 with scale length and body depth of the Skye and a Sinker Redwood and Figured Mahogany combo. Richard guided me in the selection of the tonewoods so I have no doubts it’ll sound great!

Chrisakadigdog
                                        Participant

The few redwood tops I’ve played have all been extremely, in a good way, beautifully responsive with clarity that sparkles.  Nice choice!!

RetiredFire
                                          Participant

That sounds like a very interesting guitar. I’ll be anxious to see it and hear how you like it. Hate to tell you this, but as your first Santa Cruz guitar…it likely won’t be your last!

2019 SC 000 mahogany/European spruce
                                            2018 SC H13 rosewood/Adirondack spruce
                                            2020 SC 00 Skye cocobolo/Adirondack spruce (summer)
                                            2012 Martin 00028VS rosewood/Sitka spruce

Barber Derek
                                            Participant

Thank you, it has already been amazing experience so far!

Barber Derek
                                              Participant

I have a terrible feeling that you’re speaking a lot of truth… I have to admit that I’m already intrigued by the Model F as well.

tadol
                                                Senior Moderator

Yes – I know what you mean –

Barber Derek
                                                  Participant

Inspiring!  🙂

Chrisakadigdog
                                                    Participant

There’s no 12step program going to help you here.. Si. Above^^^

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.