Santa Cruz Coffee Break-Lunch with Richard Hoover #1 podcast

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums All the SCGC podcasts are here Santa Cruz Coffee Break-Lunch with Richard Hoover #1 podcast

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Greetings all,

We are introducing our first Podcast with SCGC. This month it’s Richard Hoover.  Music provided by Daniel and Eric  Here are the links to the artists that Richard mentions along with the podcast location:

Music and Musicians mentioned in this months Podcast

Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares.

Oscar Aleman  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Alem%C3%A1n

David Grier,  https://www.davidgrier.com/

Dave Stamey, https://www.davestamey.com/

Jethro Burns with Tiny Moore, https://jazztimes.com/reviews/albums/tiny-moore-jethro-burns-back-to-back/

Cecila Noel   http://compassrecords.com/artist/cecilia-noel/

Lisa Liu   https://lisaliuguitar.com/

Choro Das 3  https://www.chorodas3.com.br/

Richard Hoover started the Santa Cruz Guitar Company in 1976 and has never strayed from his mission of making the finest acoustic guitars in the world with a small team of dedicated luthiers. He also loves sustainable wood hunting, his 1959 Chevy Apache truck, and supporting his Labrador’s tennis ball obsession. He invites you to enable his “talking about guitars” problem at scgc@santacruzguitar.com.

Santa Cruz Coffee Break, a special podcast series brought to you thru the Santa Cruz Guitar Players Forum – a special place on the web where guitar players can comfortably get together and enjoy their love of great music, great players, and of course, great Santa Cruz Guitar Company guitars.

For official information on Santa Cruz Guitars, please visit their website at santacruzguitar.com   SCCB is completely informal, and if you have ideas of topics you’d like to hear Richard Hoover express his thoughts on, please join us on the forum and send us a message.  Please note that all opinions are those of the speakers, and do not reflect the official positions of Santa Cruz Guitar Company, its employees, or its dealers.  With all that out of the way, lets get on with this months – SCCB

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by indexless.
        • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by indexless.
        Hank
        Participant

WONDERFUL, JUST WONDERFUL>>>>THANKS TO ALL

Hank
          Participant

NOW….We need to have a 12 oz. coffee cup with that logo !!!

tadol
            Senior Moderator

Yay!   So – a bit of backstory  –

a while back, there was some discussion of ways to promote the forum – one idea was a podcast with the maestro, giving him a chance to talk about a variety of topics, answer a couple questions,  and just be Richard, which is pretty cool. So indexless, our admin and webmaster, got it together and managed to make it happen. I had the pleasure of helping, and participating!

This is our first effort, and we already have a number of ideas about things we can do to improve it – but this is also a group effort, and we’d really like to get feedback about what you’d like to hear, and what kind of questions you’d like to ask, and any general format ideas that you think would make it better.

Input to the show is gonna be restricted to users of this forum – we may have to figure out a sticky, or a specific thread – but that’ll all get sorted in the months ahead  –

We also hope you’ll help spread the word, and let other people know about the podcast, and the forum!

And MUCHO thanks to Richards N & H, for all their efforts to make this happen!!

bert
              Participant

So great to be retired, made my day listening to the podcast, thanks guys.

Really got my juices flowing when Richard was talking about the redwood bridge find, hee. Dana built my little 00 out of Pao Rosewood/Redwood.  As always, I know there is some magic on the way from SCGC.

Keep them cards and letters coming.  bert

Matt Hayden
                Participant

Can’t wait to listen when there’s time.

Anonymous

You have achieved the unachievable  – you gave me a reason to want to go to the gym tomorrow.   I only listen to podcasts on the bike or treadmill, and now I actually am looking forward to tomorrow’s workout.

tadol
                    Senior Moderator

Hopefully the podcast can be one workout, and the music links can tide you by til we get another one out!

Chrisakadigdog
                      Participant

Most enjoyable listen. As always listening to the Maestro Richard Hoover is for me akin to the first few times listening to Dr Seuss tell his engaging tales of many new and enchanting characters.  PURE JOY. A smile is upon my mug

Thank You Richard,Richard and Tadol.         Now to find my Webster’s  definition , Inculcate?

haasome
                        Participant

Thanks, that was great! I’ll second the idea of SCGC Coffee cups. Keep em coming.

– Paul –

Daniel
                          Participant

Well done guys!  Very enjoyable podcast!
                            I like “lunch with Otis” as a title.

Daniel

tadol
                            Senior Moderator

Reminder that we’ll hopefully be doing #2, shortly after Richard returns from Namm – if anyone has some good questions or conversation topics for Richard, maybe even about guitars, let us know!

Daniel
                              Participant

I’d ask about the way the shop is organized in people and machinery.  The plek machine will come into it, which is still slightly controversial isn’t it?

🙂

Daniel

Chrisakadigdog
                                Participant

Would love to hear Richards thoughts on oil type’s finishes ,pros n cons ,especially on neck applications.

Hank
                                  Participant

Would love to hear Richards thoughts on laminate B/S.

Why does he not use them ? ( I’m glad he doesn’t )

I know some luthiers do and some very fine (and very expensive) instruments are made that way…would love to hear his thoughts.

haasome
                                    Participant

I’ve heard Richard say that everything you do to a guitar affects tone. We often wonder how seemingly small things like the choice of adhesive and finish systems impact tone. However, it seems like many builders are developing more dramatic angles in an effort to capture market share. So I’ll throw torrefaction and relicing our there as possible discussion topics. What is Richard’s attitude about such things?

– Paul –

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.