Santa Cruz Coffee Break #27 Zoomin’ with James May

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A Podcasts Santa Cruz Coffee Break #27 Zoomin’ with James May

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Greetings Forum,

We take a sharp right hand turn this week and would like to introduce you to the science of acoustic Guitar pickups and the amazing Tone Dexter. Bert brings up a good point in that in this installment, we all learn the word WOBULATE      This is a masterclass on acoustic amplification, we hope you enjoy it, here’s the links:

Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3o5j…

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by indexless.
      bert
      Participant

Thanks Rich, Tad, and James May…. what a awesome dose of education.  I should get busy and wobulate for a few hours.

You may/may not know the Englishman JustinGuitar.com who does online guitar education.  ‘Warble’ is his word in tuning when the harmonics are fighting.  I understand warble quite well, now to use ‘wobulate’ in the same sentence will be the challenge.

🙂  bert

tadol

Warbulate?

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Hank
      Participant

I really learned a lot.

Maybe have SCGC build a system into the 75 T.A.T.S. 000 ?

I currently have an LR. Baggs Sound hole  Transducer and I enjoy the ability to use it on several different guitars….

But it would appear that Jame’s system can better replicate the Acoustic sound of a “Trained” guitar.

Tad….Expect a Call !

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

tadol

Any time!   But I’ll say, installation is a breeze (any decent tech should be able to install the UltraTonic), but adjusting the switches for optimal balance takes a little more time, and is somewhat subjective. I completely believe it’s worth it, though!

as far as having SCGC install and adjust it – well, they haven’t done one yet, but maybe one of these days. Maybe you could be first!

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Well done!            For someone as non technically inclined,  electronics. , that was a master class in informative signal processing as I’ve ever heard.     What a pleasant manner and coherent explanations….

bert
      Participant

Just my opinion….  I would not want to see SCGC getting into installing pickup systems.  It would be a huge side-track in their efforts to build outstanding guitars.  I remember from back when Bill Collings telling his customers ‘no’ for that reason.

Like Tad said, any competent dealer can do these types of things.  The optimal EQ settings for these types of devices would be a nightmare for SCGC operations but an every day part of a dealers operations.  .02c  bert

Hank
        Participant

Good thought Bert…..We have a dearth of good acoustic guitar techs here in S.W. Florida.

At first thought I thought SCGC could do it and that EQing it would be very simple….But you may be right.

Or …..Maybe ……James May might be willing to do so ???

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
        2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
        2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
        2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
        2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
        2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
        2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
        Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
        The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

tadol

James is a left coast guy, but I’m imagining you could fly him out there to install and help you train some Tonedexter wavemaps as well – he’s a real nice guy, and a darn good musician –

Start talking to some of those techs – maybe James could do some training out that way, and add UltraTonics to some shop inventories!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.