Road tripping

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Old 97
      Participant

I’m leaving here Thursday or Friday. Driving to Santa Cruz , hoping to play every SCGC at Sylvan and invading the Mother Temple for a drive by meet greet before I head North. I am trying to hook up with Tadol in Berkeley to play his entire collection. Anybody have his #? I’m not sure the email I have is current.

Saturday may be a trip to Gryphon with Friday or Tuesday Mighty Fine Guitars.I can squeeze in Eric Schoenberg’s Shop On one of those days.

Birthday dinner for a friend at Terrapin Crossroads, hopefully on Grateful Monday.

Matt Hayden, Svea and I plan Gryphon. You are closer than we are since we’ll be starting from Santa Rosa.

Index, you busy Thursday?

I’ll have my Cruz Missile, Merrill OM28, Brondel, Northwood, Hill Classical, and a Telecaster and Tweed Deluxe, , maybe the Weissenborn.

Acoustic Soul
      Participant

wow that sounds like fun

haasome
      Participant

I don’t have the opportunity to visit these West Coast gems very often, but I’d love to get your take on this 000 at Sylvan.

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p1273/Santa_Cruz_Guitar_Company_000_Custom_Italian_Spruce_%26_Koa.html

– Paul –

Daniel
      Participant

Safe travels Matt.  Are you taking Darie and the dog?

🙂

Daniel

indexless
      Keymaster

I was in Sylvan last week…..a couple of MONSTERS in there right now, either take or leave your credit cards…you have been warned

tadol
      Participant

Would love to see you if you find yourself with free time in Berkeley or Oakland – just gimme a call!

Matt Hayden
      Participant

I’ll be around, be great to see you. Which day will you be at Gryphon?

and if you get to Tad’s, lemme know and I can bring round a couple of things….

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Matt Hayden.
      • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Matt Hayden.
      Old 97
      Participant

Svea and I are shooting for Saturday at Gryphon. Friday is Schoenberg’s and then off to David Seigler’s House to play our Teles through Tweed Deluxes. Sunday and Monday are still kind of open. Tuesday is MFG , then a-stop at Tom Walzem’s shop in Fresno before I get back home.

Keymaster, I am NOT shopping. I just paid off my house and the painter is redoing the bathroom. All my money is tied up in home improvement.

yeah…

right…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Old 97.
      • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Old 97.
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

See you on Saturday.  El Grullense is excellent local Mexican if you want to grab lunch.

Old 97
      Participant

Gimme yer cell. I’ll email ya.

Old 97
      Participant

The rain may cause us to cancel trying to drive from Marin County to Gryphon. We shall see. Maybe we can raid Tadol’s Fortress of Solitude.

tadol
      Participant

Yes! Raid away! We’re gigging Sat night, and I have friends playing in Sebastapol Sun afternoon, but sat all day and Sun morn are open –

we can do warehouse where the amps and road-warrior guitars and fun power tools are – or come by the house and we can pull out the “presscioussssess”    –

zorro
      Participant

Tadol…..Your reading material from the 70’s is showing…. LOL

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa

The Bay, The Gulf Stream, The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their Secrets with.

zorro
      Participant

And somehow …I picture the group posting on this topic as “A Band Of Merry Pranksters”….Not Hobbits on a journey to Mordor.

1993 Martin Custom HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC Custom F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC Custom OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa

The Bay, The Gulf Stream, The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their Secrets with.

Old 97
      Participant

I was deep into guitar hunting and overlooked this.

i was in Santa Rosa Sunday. Sorry to miss you Tadol. I was close.

Thursday I played 22 SCGC guitars. My faves were the OMPW with Sitka and EIR and the Custom FS with Redwood top and EIR. Some of the others needed new strings so it was hard to really evaluate them. A 12 fret D of Mahogany Adirondack was nice as was a 12 Fret O of Mahogany.

The biggest surprise were two Goodall 12 fret OOOs. Cutaway of Cocobolo and regular with Mahogany. Both had Adirondack tips. Rounder, fatter, chewier than the Cruz, they were also more expensive, tipping the scales at 10k.

The Vintage Room offered a 1962 NY Martin and a ‘49 OOO 18 that made me gassy.

the ‘56 Les Paul Special just begged to be take home.

Schoenberg has a 12fret Flamed Mahogany O that was extraordinary, absolutely the best of all the SCGC guitars I played on my trip.

Saturday at Gryphon was dedicated to Electrics. The Sunburst Collings 290 with Lollards P90s into the Carr Sportsman was insanely desirable. I lit that place up with the combo. I’ll head back with my Tweed Deluxe and PRS with Soap Bar P90s and compare. I may be getting the Collings. Absolutely amazing!

Back home, I’ve got Duo practice this morning Friday Restaurant gig and evening practice with the electric blues band. Our gigs are March and June.

road tripping to Oregon Monday.

indexless
      Keymaster

Thanks Matt….nice post

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.