Review of OM Grand 12 string….so yummy

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Review of OM Grand 12 string….so yummy

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster
      Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Nice, going to listen to that later.  After having an OM Grand for 5 years (which is up for sale now), I can say I bet it would do really well with twelve strings to fill it out.  It has that sound that’s waiting for it, especially italian and rosewood

bert
      Participant

Thanks for the link, what a great sounding 12er. When I was living in Santa Cruz in the late 70s, I bought a CFM D1218 from the Music Box on Walnut Ave. When it needed a tweak I took it over to Richard, he was to go-to for a lot of people I knew back then. I later sold it and got a 71′ Guild F112, still have it.. Byrds,etc, old school…I know.

Great memories from those days and what a treat to see the OM Grand 12er, turn turn turn.
      bert

Hank
      Participant

If Y’All had your choice of ANY 12 string model that our Maestro has built….what would it be ?

After listening to this …..I have wonderful flashbacks to Bob Gibson from the early 1960s….what do I sell to get one???

Remember “Walk Right In” by the Roof Top Singers ” ?……..Damn suddenly I NEED a 12 string ???

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Hank.
      Matt Hayden
      Participant

Years ago, Mandolin Bros in Staten Island had an OM 12-string.  It was sublime….just amazing. Lots of note separation and great clarity, less raw jangle than most, very manageable. It reminded me of Ralph Towner’s 12-string jumbo – it was similar to the sound in the link below.

It was more balanced and more controllable than a dread 12 in my opinion, but that’s IMHO, YMMV.

tadol

I have to agree entirely with Teja – SC should build more 12 strings!  I was extremely luck to find a used one a while back, and with the wife asking, “Why don’t you have a 12 string?”, it seemed like fate meant me to have it.  I would agree that the OM grand body is one I’d really love to play more of, and I can only imagine that a 12 with that body has to be amazing – but, I’m pretty darn happy with what I have!

Daniel
      Participant

Twelve string guitars are special beasties.  Not terribly versatile but brilliant when done well and played well.  My first real acoustic was a 12 string, and I left one in Modesto with a friend when I moved to the UK.

I think my love of 12 strings is what led me to mandolin family instruments.

That was a nice review form a veteran reviewer.  🙂

And I do like Teja’s playing as much as Eric Skye’s.

Daniel

tadol

This made me remember the first guitar I bought, as its also maybe the only picture I have from high school –

bert
      Participant

Santa Crusin, nostalgia lives, on the R is yours truly on my 74′ D1218 along with my duo buddy on his D18 in late Dec 1977. Me too tad,my first real guitar.

Hank
      Participant

Now these pictures are why I LOVE our forum…thanks Tad and Bert.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

haasome
      Participant

Boy you guys haven’t changed a bit!

– Paul –

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.