reconsidering my own role in my repertoire

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion reconsidering my own role in my repertoire

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

Nanci Grifffith’s recent demise has caused me to pick up the guitar I reclaimed ffrom my erstwhile guitarist and play rhythm.  I like the sound of this guitar, a Rainsong OM-1000, as well as its ease of play though the nut is too wide at 1.75″ for me to feel super comfortable.  [I know: “<GASP!> He doesn’t like 1.75″ nuts?!”  No, I don’t, and I never have.]

It occured to me this morning that perhaps I just need to play my own guitar parts and let someone else do most of the fiddly bits.  I think that may be a good way for me to re-approach my own repertoire.

Thinking through the implications on certain songs…  Yes, this could be good.
        Someone else to take solos when I play guitar or octave mandolin and also to be a foil when I play mandolin.  Hmmm… yes.  Yes indeed.

Now I need to find a fiddle player, or a flute player, or a mandolin player somewhere in a triangle between San Quentin, Soissons, and Reims.  [Good luck there, Daniel!]

🙂

Daniel

Old 97
        Participant

I would’ love to play mandolin with you.

After having it for a dozen years. I finally figured it out. Soon as I did the woman singer and songwriter starts using a capo on the 4th fret of her guitar.

Anonymous

Some time back I re-approached what I was doing. I would love to be playing with other people but the area I live in is limited as far as musicians that aren’t focused on anything other than rock or modern blues music. That’s one reason I changed my focus to finger picking country rag blues and traditional jazz. Which I love. When I play a tune I don’t feel I need others to make it a complete song. I am also finding that others are a little intimidated in finding musical space to play with me now.  The musical rabit holes we go down are enjoyable journeys though.

Hank
            Participant

Damn It Daniel…… I told Dee that If we could get you to come to Florida and join us as THE MANDO PLAYER , I would play more in public and attend at least 1 open Mic night a week and we three could appear as the FairWinds Trio…………I’m crushed that you have returned to the guitar……….By the way we would also like to find a fiddle and Harmonica player. Oh, how she wishes.

But I must agree that playing to your own inner soul is magic at times.

Daniel
              Participant

Matt, Just come.  The border here is open and I haves extra mandos.  🙂

Mr. Jelly, Yep.  I can take up a lot of space when I play my own rhythm arts too.  I try to back off a lot when I play with others.

Hank,  When I come to Florida I’ll bring a mando.  I’m not giving up mandolin by a long shot.  Just realising I am my own best rhythm guitar player.
                There are lots of things I do when I play rhythm that I find it difficult to communicate verbally.  And often trying to show someone who already plays as well or better than I do can seem condescending.  So I usually just get on with whatever the guitarist is doing as long as it’s in time and in tune.

🙂

Fair winds all!

Daniel

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.