Pre-war/Advanced-x bracing and string choice propensity?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Pre-war/Advanced-x bracing and string choice propensity?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

My question to you is this:  Do guitars with pre-war bracing tend to sound better with dryer clearer strings?  I absolutely love the parabolic tension strings from Santa Cruz, but being a phosphor bronze only option it limits out the 80/20 or monel choices.  My guitar can be a little dark and wet with pre-war, italian, and cocobolo.  Getting a little bit clearer, more distinct and woody tone with medium 80/20 or monel has been nice so far, but the strings don’t quite measure up to santa cruz.  That’s why I’ve gone back and forth.

I noticed those things extra when I was in Austin comparing the african blackwood standard braced OM Grand to my cocobolo pre-war.

indexless
      Keymaster

I went back and forth on strings for years and what I learned is that they sound different for sure. It’s hard to quantify a sound and make it go across the board to make a definitive statement, remember your actual mileage may vary. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to put two of them in the same room and let them work things out. How about another demo last the last one you did? Nudge nudge wink wink

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by indexless. Reason: spelling
      • This reply was modified 12 months ago by indexless. Reason: spelling
      Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Yeah, it seems like I either find a non santa cruz string for my guitar or else it doesn’t jive and what does jive is outdone by another guitar making it kind of useless unless you’re playing in the midrange way up the neck to get a soulful, slow, sweet laid back vibe.

I’m trying to understand the last thing you wrote – “How about another emo last the last one you did?” … sorry if I’m a bit slow, but I’m not sure what you’re meaning

Hank
      Participant

I have just completed my trimester string change.

SCGC low tension on the F, OM, And O.T. H model.

Played the O.T today plugged in  …..very balanced with clear mid-range , bell like trebels and Grand piano sounding bass through a Bose TouchTone and Bose l11S tower.

SCGC Mid tension on the 1934 Zorro

All pure acoustic except for the O.T which has a baggs under saddle P/U. with sound hole volume control.

I am a great believer in SC strings and have used them on all my guitars since their introduction.

But…..after a long conversation with DigDog about string types on “plugged in” guitars I have decided to order a set of Martin retros (mediums) for the martin HD-28 ( a baggs p/u). His comments about the composition of the retros and the metallurgy of the pick ups on electric guitars made sense so I will give them a try.

I have been drafted to play in public with my wife and will use the Martin plugged in to a sound system…..I’ll let Y’All know how it goes.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Hank.
      • This reply was modified 12 months ago by Hank.
      Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Looking forward to hearing how it goes, so the Cruzes are just for your personal use and you use the Martin in public?

Hank
        Participant

The SCs stay on the home range with the exception of the SC F that has traveled by car to Colo. and back.

I do let friends who I trust play them when we have Jams at home.

The Martin has traveled a lot. To the Islands and to Join my friends “IN LOW PLACES” on the VERY rare occasions I perform in public with Dee.

ALL have been evacuated once for Hurricane Irma.

The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

Mostly use the Cruz Low Tensions on everything with one exception (an old Martin that uses John Pearse Folk).

How it sounds from there is my responsibility (or fault, depending on how you want to look at it) 🙂

Hank
        Participant

Hard to find any fault with your playing that I have heard Matt……Well maybe that Pete Townsend Windmill thing !!!!

Matt Hayden
        Participant

Thank you!  I find plenty and I generally keep a broom around to sweep up the notes that fall on the floor during practice :D.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.