Ordered Norm and Low tension Parabolics today

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Ordered Norm and Low tension Parabolics today

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Hank.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      bert
      Participant

For years I have primarily been using D’Add EJ16s. My two mahog slope shoulder guitars get a bunch of play time. My 2001 SCGC VJ loves anything but meds… my 2008 Collings Cj is very persnickety about all strings. I had a set of D’Ad Nickel Bronze Lights in the stash going wanting for a long time. Why not, I put them on the CJ and a remarkable diff from the med/lgt EJ24s I had been using.

My 2001 VJ is full scale with 4 5/8″ depth at the end pin, great geometry for my old shoulders. The CJ is short scale with 5″ depth at the end pin, also good geometry. The CJ needs a little more to drive the adi top and from all I’ve read here from you fine folks the Normal sounds like it will be the ticket. The Light set will go on my best all around guitar I’ve ever owned, the sitka VJ.

How’m I doin so far?  bert

bert
        Participant

Taming of the Shrew

SCGC Parabolic (Norms) have tamed my Collings CJmhA, so glad to report.  The harmonics have been fighting like cats/dogs on that guitar for as long as I can remember.  Wish I had taken the leap of faith before now.   bert

Hank
          Participant

Ah Bert….a leap of faith at our age is NEVER too late……..I use SCGC lites on the  FTC, OM and O.T.

Chris (digdog) put Elixer Nano custom lites on the F while it was on a visit to California and I really like the “Jazz” vibe they give to the guitar…. I’ve since bought another set of those string  for a restring…..Horses for courses.

I use SCGC Mids on the 1934 D and the HD-28.

I’m using Spectrum 12 string sets for the Taylor….like them but really waiting for the SCGC 12 string sets to be released.

I have been playing the O.T. in drop D and DADGAD lately……it really sounds great with the lites and the strings are not TOO  “Soft”….. but again waiting for the SC DADGAD sets.

Best to you….If Y’all ever get to The Gulf Coast of Florida come and pick a bit.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Hank.
            bert
            Participant

Hank, thanks for the wisdom, ‘Horses for courses’ is so true.

Afraid I got caught up in the ‘one size fits all’ kinda thing. Each year I stock up on strings during the holiday sales season, with the must use those first mentality. duhh

I mostly use light gauge strings for ‘bending them guitar strings’, blues but not country blues. The SCGCj Norms bend much better than trad .13 meds for me.  There’s real results in the balance tension technology is my thinking, thanks Mr. Hoover.

The SCGC Low Tension go on the VJ very soon for sure. Old dog new tricks, makes the world go round.  bert

Barber Derek
              Participant

I use the SCGC low tension strings on my SCGC 00, and get a wonderful sound.  Beautiful balance for the Redwood top.

bert
                Participant

The SCGC Low Tensions have been on the VJ for a couple days now, D’Addario is in the rearview:

Hank
                  Participant

Now that’s an advertising shot.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.