opinions please

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      hifivic
      Participant

A question that my gut thinks it knows the answer to. Assume I’d make a mistake going from a SCGC short scale OM cocobolo/German to a Eric Skye OO cocobolo/Adi. Home use only, keep in mind that while I owned a Lowden O-23 in the past I had tried to add a H&D OO-Sp, Collings OOO-2h  and a Martin OOO-28vs to the stable and all were sold as to my ear they all sounded small, boxy and constricted. My fear with swapping the OM for the Skye is it may amplify all the traits I sold the above models for as my thinking the Adi top would mimic the traits I didn’t like but on steroids!

Santa Cruz 000-12 fret

One off classical by Samick

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by hifivic.
        indexless
        Keymaster

There is nothing small or boxy with a 00 Skye, his guitar is huge sounding

Barber Derek
          Participant

The 00 Skye models I have played have been amazing.  That being said SCGC is a custom shop so they can do just about anything you like.  Basically, they made me a custom 00 that had the same scale length and body depth as the 00 Skye, but with the tone woods (Redwood and Mahogany) and finishes I wanted.  You should reach out to Carolyn at SCGC if you have more questions, but they truly are a “custom” shop.

hifivic
            Participant

Please let me clarify. I own the custom OM short scale cocobolo /German. What I’m toiling with is selling/trading for the Skye and the concept that I would be shelling out many dollars for a lesser guitar as the Skye is about $1700.00 less than my OM. As I stated above the Adi top might amplify what I didn’t care for before. 

Santa Cruz 000-12 fret

Hank
              Participant

The ‘Forum” might be better able to help if you describe your style of play.

If anyone can truly define the voice of an Eric Skye it is Indexless….listen to him.

Chrisakadigdog
                Participant

From reading your two posts , the catch and release journey you’ve been on , suggests that your better off staying with the larger body guitars, OM grand, F,FS Dreadnought..  I ‘ve been chasing my tail for years trying to find that smaller size with a Dreadnought presence. No such luck for me.

H13’s get you really close!!!  OM Grand just might be the one?

Eric Skye can make an ukulele sound lush and big !!!!!

Best of luck on your search !

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

I’m going to agree with Chris.  While the Skye is amazing, an OM may be the balance of power and control your ear likes…that’s kind of what an OM is, really.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                    hifivic
                    Participant

Chris you just said it all……”catch and release journey”, I needed that! Thanks for pointing out the obvious Matt!

Santa Cruz 000-12 fret

indexless
                      Keymaster

HiFiVic,

Since SCGC is a custom shop, I’d suggest you call and get in touch with Richard and see what he has to say, there are also some great pod casts (if I do say so myself) with Richard and also a new one with Eric where he discusses his guitar and the build process.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • The topic ‘opinions please’ is closed to new replies.