OM/99

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      osh
      Participant

Hi, I just bought used SCGC OM guitar and I love it but I can’t obtain any detailed information from website.

The label says “OM/99” with serial#1621. Can anyone tell what specification this guitar has?  What does “99” mean?

Thanks,

Osh

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome Osh……WOW  Cool find, we’ll get the answers here, are there any signatures on the top or the label?

osh
          Participant

Thank you!

No Signature on the top. This is the label.

tadol
            Senior Moderator

I’d give odds that it is OM #1621, started in 1999 –   If you go to the Santa Cruz Guitar website, under Support, then Date Your Guitar – #1621 is listed as a 2000 build, but it may very well have been started as one of the last builds of ‘99, and finished in 2oo0 – but I have no idea when they generate the label, or the serial number – I’d email the shop and see if they have more info on the build card.

If you have an extension mirror, you can look inside the guitar on the top below/beside the bridge, and it will be signed (and probably dated) by the person who voiced it. There have been quite a few excellent luthiers who’ve worked at Santa Cruz, and sometimes its fun to see who carved the braces on your guitar –

Great guitar! Tell is more!

osh
              Participant

Hi Tadol,

Thank you for your note.  I went to the website and knew this is a 2000 build but couldn’t come up with your take which is very interesting. Unfortunately, I have sent this guitar to the repair shop today so can’t look the inside but will do after it is returned.

Will wait for new information…

Thanks!!

Osh

tadol
                Senior Moderator

A good repair shop definitely has a mirror, and many have inspection cameras – maybe they can snap a pic for you while they have it on the bench –

Old 97
                  Participant

What are the Woods?

Daniel
                    Participant

Looking at that photo I’d say the back & sides were mahogany.  🙂

Daniel

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Daniel.
                      osh
                      Participant

Hi Tadol, The following the picture my repair person took. He could only find this signature on the backside of top wood. Looks like it is hidden under the one of bracing woods.

Hi Old97, Thank you for your post. I don’t know what exact wood is. That’s why I would research with this forum.

Osh

tadol
                        Senior Moderator

Thats nothing I can identify – we’ll confirm as our next podcast is on bracing, but usually the top isn’t signed until it is completed, so there’s no way the signature would be under a brace – heres a sample from one of mine –

tadol
                          Senior Moderator

Note – the signature is hard to read, but I’m pretty sure this one was done by Bill Hardin –

osh
                            Participant

Thank you, Tadol.

Will check like this out in detail by myself and post it after the guitar was returned then.

BTW, do you think this signature  is the only way to identify what spec this OM/99 has?

Osh

Daniel
                              Participant

Call the shop.  Talk to Carolyn.  I bet they have a record of the build.

Daniel

Chrisakadigdog
                                Participant

Call the SCGC SHOP; 831-425-0999. They are your source for details and specifications on your #1621 build

osh
                                  Participant

Hi Daniel and Chrisakadigdog,

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually I am not good at speaking and listening the language, do you know any contact information so I can ask this question directly?  I have sent the inquiry to SCGC via their “contact us” page but no response for a month or two. That’s why I used this forum…

Thank you for your help.

Osh

osh
                                    Participant

Hello,

I finally received this guitar after being repaired. I found this signature inside. Can anyone tell more about this guitar?

tadol
                                      Senior Moderator

I couldn’t tell you anything from that – looks like OM 1621, 2/o0, but the initials are unreadable to me –  the shop has been on lockdown, with no one allowed to go in, but I think they are starting to go in on a limited basis and limited times, so I would forward your info and the pic to the shop via email, and ask them it\f they can find the build card and forward any additional info they have on your guitar. But you may have to be patient – they have to get the shop back up and running –

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.