Nice to have an open forum! Tell your friends!

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Nice to have an open forum! Tell your friends!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol

Once again, simple, factual, and quite reasonable comments have been deleted or modified on the American Gorilla Forum – reminds you that so much of what you see, read, and hear is only the voices of those that own the things you have access to, and their control the narrative is complete. Hard to get truth out if it doesn’t serve the masters political or economic motives –

But not here!!! Polite and truthful is a treasure we should cherish – what a great little backwater to relax in and enjoy wonderful guitars!

Hank
      Participant

Care to share your “Sins” with us ?

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German (For Sale)
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Frozen Rat
      Participant

He is right. That other forum is notorious for modifying and deleting posts by whatever rubric they happen to be adhering to on that particular day. They are so intent on political correct speech and niceness that they’ve actually become quite tyrannical and oppressive.

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

haasome
      Participant

I think AGF is heavily moderated, but it also has 108,000 members with a whole lot of traffic. So I do think the moderation helps keep the discussions civil. I agree there appears to be many unnecessary edits and excessive control. However, I believe a lot of that is what you get when you have volunteers making their own determination about what does and doesn’t follow guidelines. In general, I find it to be a decent place to discuss acoustic guitars. It’s not an enjoyable forum to conduct discussions about other life experiences. While I’d like to have an adult conversation about things related to politics, I understand how discussions involving politics and religion often create an unpleasant atmosphere on a guitar forum. There are plenty of places on the Internet for those discussions. The “Wild West” awaits us on Twitter or FB as we like.

On the other hand, I really don’t appreciate many of the controls AGF has in place. For example: you are not allowed to announce the launch or discuss ongoing activities of any other forum, like this SCGC Forum. You can’t mention that you might be interested is selling or trading a guitar in an ongoing discussion unless you are a paid sponsor or charter member. You can’t even announce or discuss the fact that Froggy Bottom is holding a guitar raffle (or discuss any fundraiser) to support healthcare for musicians. You can’t even put a tag line about your new CD or instructional offfereings in your signature line unless you pony up as a sponsor, etc.  etc.  etc… I agree the curbs and controls can be very annoying, but the upside is that rude and incessant attacks about Brands, Religion and Politics don’t detract from otherwise enjoyable discussions about music and guitars. Over time I’ve adjusted my expectations and carry on. I’m also a member of the Collings Forum and they have few controls, yet they have a very civil environment. AGF can become nasty at times, so there are benefits to some moderation IMO. And it’s a privately owned enterprise and like any privately owned business, I guess they get to make the rules.

– Paul –

tadol

True – they keep some of the seriously objectional stuff out, but they also let other stuff of highly questionable truthfulness get posted, and do a good job of stifling reasonable interchange –

on a thread about the possible effects of tariffs on musical instrument prices, I posted –

<i>There is too much to this equation to make a reasonable evaluation – personally, I’m less concerned with tariffs than I am with the increasingly wary-of-the-US positions that are coming down the pipe from governments and businesses that used to look at us as solid friends and partners previously. That could have major impact on our good and services throughout the world -</i>

Now – I actually got a couple of well-saids, and even a PM, but the posts (and any that referenced it) were quickly deleted. Meanwhile, posts like –

<i>Because while the import tax war may hurt us initially, it will hurt them more- and if it is prolonged it will shift those imported goods away from them semi-permanently.</i>

<i>It is important for us to look at the impact of actions on multiple time frames. Let’s face it, nothing we do will be great in this moment. We’re in a hole. We have national debt, higher manufacturing costs, are not geared up for the kind of production we once had. But turning an economy is like trying to turn an oversized ship. It isn’t going to turn on a dime. But change over time has to happen. And some of it will be painful as we adapt. While we were happy getting cheap stuff made by cheap labor we had to know the party wasn’t going to last forever. We’ve seen others eating our lunch for a couple decades now. There is no such thing as a “consumer economy” at least in the long term. It’s like a corn farmer eating his seed corn- and you know how that ends. We cannot keep going down the same road. Anyone have other suggestions?</i>

Thats is left up, along with numerous repeats of it – which I can only perceive as a pro-you-know-who ideology –

I like it here more – we just need to get more SC players to know we’re back!

bert
      Participant

So good to be a part of this forum, thanks to you guys. I have never, and never will join the AGF or Facecrook. I lived in Santa Cruz for a few years and have played SCGC guitars for 15yrs. Getting a new forum like this rolling is a labor of love.

imo….
      No fences is the right approach to the best forums, within ethics. I am a member of the Collings (armdog), Martin, and Eastman forums. The demographics of guitar forums are different, that’s the nature and essence. Huge vs small membership is mostly based on the number of players who own the brand.

I love great guitars, no matter the brand. The days of Ford vs Chevy (Martin vs Gibson) are for inside the box thinking. (how’m I doing)  I own a baked top Eastman E20OM-TC and AR805ce archtop. Here goes….

I wish for this forum to be a great success and will help any way I can within reason, having cataract surgery next week, hopefully will turn 72 later this year.

I invited Tim Shaw (Phoenix), who started the Eastman Guitar Fan forum, to visit this forum. He loves SCGC OMs but is raising a sizeable young family with eyes on a SC guitar down the road. Don’t shoot, just a suggestion to visit the EGF, 9mos old and off to a great start.  bert
      https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by bert.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by bert.
      Hank
      Participant

While I am on the opposite end of the political spectrum from most of my friends on this wonderful Forum(and this is the ONLY time I will mention that), I am very pleased that we can unite in one place to share our love and enjoyment of Santa Cruz Guitars and those who play and build them.
      While we can differ on the direction of the craziness of the world we can unite on the joy of making music with SCGC instruments.
      I will never let something as silly as right or left get in the way of the friends I have made since I became involved with SC guitars.
      Being at the 40th and meeting so many of you and the Crew of SCGC was one of the great experiences of my life….and I have been fortunate in my life to have a great many experiences in my 71 1/2 years.
      Fair Winds !

The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Frozen Rat
      Participant

I don’t blame AGF for moderating some of the nastier discussions out of their database, but they always go too far. You can’t even put something like *%&$ in a post because of its allusion to expletives. You can’t even make any allusion where you have to fill in the parts and just might come up with something spicy. I got seriously chewed out for that. The moderator called what I wrote profanity when there wasn’t any words that any person would call profane. He didn’t like that “brass” sounded like… well, you know. You can’t even mention the moderators in a post. I got chewed out for that. A responder to one of my posts misunderstood my wording and thought I said one thing, to which I replied that I had meant something else. I got accused of starting a “food fight.” It goes on and on. Every other post I responded to or wrote got edited or deleted and then I’d get a nasty message from a moderator.

Guitar players are a varied bunch, but we’re also mostly adults who like to have adult conversations. If a forum is catering to children, fine, then they should keep it appropriate for that audience. But a forum that caters to people who play guitars in bars and occasionally have to defend themselves with their guitars; people who are generally over 30 and rarely under, don’t want that kind of oversight. And I certainly don’t want some guy talking to me like I’m a child because I’m having a conversation that would never raise an eyebrow anywhere else. So I left and I will never go back.

They might have 108k members but the number of those members that post isn’t that large. A vast majority of the posts are so washed out by the rules and moderations that they are stifling and boring to read. Anyway, enough about them. Time to play.

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

Hank
      Participant

So… How do we find Magwa and Strings and the others folks who were a great part of the “Old ” Forum???
      I’m willing to help in any way.!!
      Our dear friend Alex64 has sailed over the horizon…but I know he would be here if he could.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Hank.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Hank.
      bert
      Participant

A good way to recruit new members to this forum is through SCGC dealers. Put a flier in the new guitar case candy that points here. The SCGC dealers would probably get behind this as it spreads the word.

Sitting around here talking to each other ain’t going nowhere. bert

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.