NGD! Not exactly planned, we’ll see how trouble I get into –

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion NGD! Not exactly planned, we’ll see how trouble I get into –

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol

First –  I’m so glad so few people really value these older Santa Cruz Fs – this came up on eBay, didn’t sell, I suggested that the seller start at a much lower price and I’d get it started, they did, I did, and now I have a really beautiful new guitar today –

Second – this is the first Mark Leaf (?) case I’ve had, and its HUGE! Not heavy, and lots of practical storage space, and looks like it does a great job of protecting –

Leaf case

Leaf thickness comparison

Leaf case interiior

tadol

She has flat wounds on, and the feel is pretty cool. Gonna put a new set on, since these are pretty old. And it has some pickup in it – not sure what, but we’ll plug her in and see –

A couple of my unskilled attempts at being artsy –

Guitar and poster

Artsy

Maple F back

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Oh my my said the spider to the fly…   Good thing my guest quarters are unlocked and available to you my friend.

Nice  LUTHIERS DIGEST  photo setup. A Don Julio bottle to the right=t of guitar would finish the look..

Very nice!!

Acoustic Soul
      Participant

Nice!

indexless
      Keymaster

Well…that’s tasty

Hank
      Participant

Tadol,

Looks like a cousin of my F cutaway,mine has the fan fret inlays, otherwise the same.

What is the Top Wood?   What year ?

By the way …..THAT”S THE POSTER I WANT !!!

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Hank.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Hank.
        Hank
        Participant

The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Hank
        Participant

Daniel
      Participant

You are incorrigible.

In a good way.

🙂

D

haasome
      Participant

That’s a sweetie Tad!

– Paul –

tadol

Took it into my “studio” today (studio? Workshop/warehouse/storeroom/mancave?)  and got a chance to plug her in – no low E coming thru at all, but the low E sounds kinda tubby anyway, which I am kinda liking – strumming it sounds almost like a upright bass playing behind me – no attack, but a resonant and rich bass tone acting like a foundation for the other strings. But I went by GC and bought a new set of flat wounds, so maybe tomorrow I’ll check what kinda pickup this thing has and see if there is a problem with something.

Curly maple and sitka — ‘91, #174 –  just a lovely and sweet sounding combo that seems to not be in much demand, so I’ve found a few of these at really reasonable prices. My closets full – if more come up for sale, I’d highly recommend buying them! This has the beautiful single black line that runs up through the back, then on up thru the neck and out the headstock. Curly maple neck,  creamy ivoroid binding,  simple ebony fretboard – to my eye, it is the qunitessential Santa Cruz creation.

So far, the wife hasn’t balanced the paypal account, so I’m still good! But there may be a fire sale soon – trying to keep her happy –

Daniel
      Participant

I had a Guild G-37 which was a carved maple back over (I suspect) Sitka top.  After I spent time and money getting the intonation right (saddle needed to be moved as the bridge was misplaced), it was a nice guitar.  Very fundamental and direct. I suspect it would have been an excellent stage guitar.

Guilds are built like tanks, so I bet your F will have a lot more complex tone than my Guild did. ButSitka and maple are a lovely combination. Maple is underused in guitars if you ask me.  [Said the mandolin player.]

🙂

Daniel

tadol

Maple is (should be) one of the sustainable natives that we should utilize more.  But be that as it may –

Pulled the old strings and pulled the saddle – it has a glued on transducer, with a very thin ebony shim under it all  –

Ust

I kinda like the perpendicular volume wheel in the sound hole –

While I had the phone out, got an interior pic –

So – new strings now on,  and they definitely are more alive, and have more attack, even on the low E, but plugged in, zero output from the low E, so as soon as I can arrange it, this pickup comes out and something else – probably the UltraTonic – goes in, and a new bone saddle as well.

Still loving it, but I need to spend more time with these flat-wounds before I decide they’re keepers –

Hank
        Participant

Very nicely done Tad.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.