New (to me) SCGD!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol
      Senior Moderator

Well – I’ve been on the hunt for a mahogany SC for some time now, but with my desire for a 1-13/16” nut, and (mho) SC not building enough mahogany guitars (or, the ones they build never being let go?) it’s been a fruitless hunt – until a few days ago –

This popped up, and I just had a feeling it was the right thing to jump on it – it arrived yesterday, and I am completely overjoyed with it – a gorgeous OM, figured mahogany b&s, euro top, figured binding, gold waverlys, wide nut & saddle – and its tone is oh so mahogany! Thank you Mr Hoover, and everyone at SC – I may not have ordered it, but y’all couldn’t have made it more perfect!

Hank
        Participant

Wonderful Tad……I know how you feel……enjoy

bert
          Participant

Congratulations Tad, that appears to be a mahog jewel.  I love some SCGC mahogany.  my best, bert

indexless
            Keymaster

Oh my….you’ve been real quiet on this one…….congrats brother, what a great guitar!

Chrisakadigdog
              Participant

DANG !! DUDE.   Fiddlelicious mahogany and the wood binding.   Very nice.

Acoustic Soul
                Participant

I was surprised to find an advanced x braced mahogany OM Grand to me is actually very very nice.  I think they do a great job with mahogany

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

That’s gorgeous.  Can’t wait to hear it!

Old 97
                    Participant

Right purty.

I’ve got a hankering for this one:

https://www.om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P181116002

tadol
                      Senior Moderator

Ahh – a ‘29 000 is a fantastic guitar. I had one, and got talked into selling it, which I quickly regretted, so immediately started to look for a replacement. I found lots of 00s, but the 000 was harder to find. I did find a ‘29 OM, and grabbed that, and its really nice – not loud, but so very musical. But it has that same 1-¾” nut. I’ve lived with it and enjoyed it a great deal. But playing this new OM, with the 1-13/16” nut, has really driven home just how much nicer that extra 1/16”  is. I may go crazy and put all my 1-¾” SCs for sale, and just keep hunting, or possibly ordering,  replacements (uh, only 1 I think)  with that extra 1/16” –

I think I saw a ‘29 000c (cutaway) recently – that would also be a guitar I’d enjoy trying. If only I could find that with the wider nut –

Hank
                        Participant

Tad, what strings are using on it ?

tadol
                            Senior Moderator

I’m using SCGC Lights mostly – this new OM came to me with an older set of SCs already on it, and while they sound good, they may be almost a year old already, so I’m looking forward to giving it a hear with some fresh ones. I think it needs a slight truss rod tweak, but I’m letting it get used to it’s new home before I do anything to it – it’ll be around a while, so there’s no rush –

haasome
                            Participant

That’s terrific! There might be one in my future with same woods. Enjoy.

– Paul –

Barber Derek
                              Participant

What a beauty, congratulations!  I love my SCGC 00 with sinker redwood and mahogany; I don’t know what it is that Richard and his team do with Mahogany but the results are sure special!

Dannymeeg
                                Participant

Wow! That’s a stunning guitar!

Catndahat
                                  Participant

Awesomely cool.

Congrats on another good find, Tadol.

You have a 6th, 7th or even 9th sense for finding Santa Cruz guitar deals.

Now, if I can find a bargain D-12….close enough to drive to would be a plus.

Again, way cool!

Nate

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.