New (to me) SCGD!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol

Well – I’ve been on the hunt for a mahogany SC for some time now, but with my desire for a 1-13/16” nut, and (mho) SC not building enough mahogany guitars (or, the ones they build never being let go?) it’s been a fruitless hunt – until a few days ago –

This popped up, and I just had a feeling it was the right thing to jump on it – it arrived yesterday, and I am completely overjoyed with it – a gorgeous OM, figured mahogany b&s, euro top, figured binding, gold waverlys, wide nut & saddle – and its tone is oh so mahogany! Thank you Mr Hoover, and everyone at SC – I may not have ordered it, but y’all couldn’t have made it more perfect!

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Hank
      Participant

Wonderful Tad……I know how you feel……enjoy

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

bert
      Participant

Congratulations Tad, that appears to be a mahog jewel.  I love some SCGC mahogany.  my best, bert

indexless
      Keymaster

Oh my….you’ve been real quiet on this one…….congrats brother, what a great guitar!

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

DANG !! DUDE.   Fiddlelicious mahogany and the wood binding.   Very nice.

Acoustic Soul
      Participant

I was surprised to find an advanced x braced mahogany OM Grand to me is actually very very nice.  I think they do a great job with mahogany

Matt Hayden
      Participant

That’s gorgeous.  Can’t wait to hear it!

Old 97
      Participant

Right purty.

I’ve got a hankering for this one:

https://www.om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P181116002

tadol

Ahh – a ‘29 000 is a fantastic guitar. I had one, and got talked into selling it, which I quickly regretted, so immediately started to look for a replacement. I found lots of 00s, but the 000 was harder to find. I did find a ‘29 OM, and grabbed that, and its really nice – not loud, but so very musical. But it has that same 1-¾” nut. I’ve lived with it and enjoyed it a great deal. But playing this new OM, with the 1-13/16” nut, has really driven home just how much nicer that extra 1/16”  is. I may go crazy and put all my 1-¾” SCs for sale, and just keep hunting, or possibly ordering,  replacements (uh, only 1 I think)  with that extra 1/16” –

I think I saw a ‘29 000c (cutaway) recently – that would also be a guitar I’d enjoy trying. If only I could find that with the wider nut –

Hank
      Participant

Tad, what strings are using on it ?

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

tadol

I’m using SCGC Lights mostly – this new OM came to me with an older set of SCs already on it, and while they sound good, they may be almost a year old already, so I’m looking forward to giving it a hear with some fresh ones. I think it needs a slight truss rod tweak, but I’m letting it get used to it’s new home before I do anything to it – it’ll be around a while, so there’s no rush –

haasome
      Participant

That’s terrific! There might be one in my future with same woods. Enjoy.

– Paul –

Barber Derek
      Participant

What a beauty, congratulations!  I love my SCGC 00 with sinker redwood and mahogany; I don’t know what it is that Richard and his team do with Mahogany but the results are sure special!

Dannymeeg
      Participant

Wow! That’s a stunning guitar!

Catndahat
      Participant

Awesomely cool.

Congrats on another good find, Tadol.

You have a 6th, 7th or even 9th sense for finding Santa Cruz guitar deals.

Now, if I can find a bargain D-12….close enough to drive to would be a plus.

Again, way cool!

Nate

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.