New Music Thursday 3-3-22

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion New Music Thursday 3-3-22

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Hello Forum,

I’d like to start a new weekly post, what music did you find, rediscover, borrow from a friend  or heard in a bar, and post that music here….I’ll Start…….Punch Brothers “Hell On Church Street”  This album is made in the spirit of Tony Rice who made “Church Street blues.   I just saw them live and they took the to of my head off, right now if you can find and see them, they are preforming this record live and it’s just killer.  You can hear a great podcast with Chris Ethridge (Critter) on the Fretboard Journal Podcast, it’s in depth and an amazing tribute to Tony. So….Have you bought any new music?  What are you listening to?

bert
        Participant

Great idea Rich

This morning I was in the car for an hour and half,  I was listening to Euge Groove most of the way:

Other times I listen to Boney James:

Guitars are always a member of the band for me.

Keeps my old toe tappin’.     bert

Daniel
            Participant

appropos of smooth jazz…
              I grabbed a copy of Sting’s Bring on the Night in order to learn Moon Over Bourbon Street… And listening to the whole two disc album, it struck me that Dream of the Blue Turtles and …Nothing Like the Sun are actually Smooth Jazz records!
              I bought both Dream of the Blue Turtles and …Nothing Like the Sun new when they were released, and this just occurred to me on Wednesday!

Daniel

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Daniel.
            indexless
            Keymaster

Sweet Bert….thanks for the tip

Hank
              Participant

This album was one of the great influences on me…..Every song is wonderful.

wbb90TR
                Participant

I have been waiting all week to try and post this, but there has not been enough time to do justice to the concert.

Last weekend, my wife along with our two sons and their ladies took a road trip to DC. Our daughter and her husband live in NW DC. We all, plus a few more friends, had tickets to the Punch Brothers “Hell on Church Street” tribute tour stop at the Lincoln Theatre.

I have been a follower of Blake and Rice since the early ’70s. Punch Brothers took their music to a different level altogether, as only they could, while remaining totally respectful to the originals.  As Tony related to Critter some years ago not to copy another’s music, but to make it his own. Well, they re-imagined those classics from “Church Street Blues” in a way that had the Punch Bros signature while still holding true to the tunes that Tony covered on his album. It was a two hour straight set intermixing their originals with the “CSB” numbers in such a tasteful order. They are truly masters of their style, most notably, Chris Thile and Chris Eldridge.

I have to agree with Indexless’ above post. We were all blown away. Ditto reading the podcast, and there is a great writeup on the Punch Bros website about their journey of respect in making this album.

Humbled again by what the masters do,

Walter

bert
                  Participant

Daniel, smooth jazz touches into so many diff genre. Wes Montgomery was my first guitar hero in the 60s.. Both Eugene Groove (euge groove) and Boney James have cream of the crop guitar players in their music groups. Sting is one of a kind, he definitely moves around in smooth jazz.

We had a smooth jazz radio station here in the Atlanta area for a few years. I had that station on all the time but they couldn’t make a go of it and went under. It broadened my music interest greatly. Bet no one here has ever heard of Praful.

Hank
                    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=manassas+full+album

Headphones on most of last night with this…

Daniel
                      Participant

I Can’t Give You Anyting But Love, Baby.  Adrian Moignard.

All the Things You Are. Antoine Boyer

https://www.jazzautouquet.com/adrien-moignard/ (promo for the concert we attended)

A couple of weekends ago, Claudine and I took a weekend on the Normandy coast and attended a performance of a jazz festival in Le Touquet, a posh seaside town most famous at the moment for being Emmauel Macron’s home town.  (Seriously, it’s so posh the town symbol is the sillhouette of a golf caddy.  And people walk around in flat caps and tweeds, as though that was normal.)
                        ANYWAY… We saw Adrian Moignard and Antoine Boyer play together.  A wonderful evening of Jazz guitar.  I bought a CD from each of them.  Claudine gave my CDs to Antoine.  (no, the phone has not rung.  😉 )

Enjoy!

Daniel

bert
                        Participant

Good stuff,

Hank, +1 on Stephen Stills

Daniel, Hot Club of France is always on my playlist. Django Reinhardt was so special, I may have all of his recorded music. ‘Two fingers lightning’ 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.