modulation pedals

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Electricity modulation pedals

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

Hi guys,

I know we’re at heart acoustic here, but I also know that some of you plug in too.  So I am wondering what you guys like in terms of a little spice.

Do you go for chorus, flange, phase, tremolo, or something more complicated/exotic?

I’m currently using a 3 pedal board which includes my Super Overdrive dialed WAY back to the spot where I can get dirty by pushing the pick harder or turing up the volume on the guitar (emando, more often).  For spice I use a flanger and a Boss Multi-Overtone, though almost never at the same time.  Both pedals are dialed back to nearly nothing.  I like subtle things.

My current favorite amp is my Ampeg JetII 12T (15w 1×12).  It has reverb and tremolo.  I’ve been playing with the tremolo a lot lately, exploring speeds mostly.  If I go slow, I like to set the intensity above 5.  When I go fast, I drop the intensity to 3-ish.  So it’s the effect with which I am the least subtle.

I have been thinking about a phaser/phase shifter in place of the flange.  And I would love to have the Multi-Overtone modified.  (I won’t go into specifics unless you’re interested in one of Boss’s least successful pedals. 😉 I can recommend a YouTube video if you’re into it.)

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Daniel

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Daniel.
        Hank
        Participant

WHAT HE TALKIN BOUT ???

indexless
          Keymaster

Happy Birthday Daniel,

Cool, post the link to that, I have found my Boss ME50 covers most of what I need except for my Nobles Drive which Will never leave!

Daniel
            Participant

Here you go Richard:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cwagr2XaqQ  If you’re into pedals, this guy is really good to watch.

An ME50?  I had to look that up.  🙂  Boss tries to do it all at once there!

I’m eyballing MXR phase 90s on Reverb.  LOL.

Daniel

Daniel
              Participant

OK…

After oggling phase 90s on Reverb, I decided to work with what I’ve got.

My chain was: SD-1 (overdrive) -> BF-3 (flanger)-> MO-2 (MultiOvertone), but now I’ve reversed the flanger and the MO so that I’m ‘flange-ing’ everything.  All those soft little trebles added by the MO are now being affected by the flanger.
                It’s fuller and and more swirly than a phase shifter.
                It’s interesting because I -perhaps erroneously- think of flanging as a time-based effect rather than a true modulator.  So I figured it would be best at the end of the chain.
                Nice to know I was sonically wrong and that I don’t need to spend more money.  😉

Oh, and BTW, this is all perfectly do-able with an acoustic guitar too.  You just need amplification running a signal from a pick-up or a mic.

🙂

Daniel

indexless
                Keymaster

Good solution Daniel, Steve Stills did alright with an acoustic guitar and all that modulation, case in point Dark Star

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.