medium tension strings

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion medium tension strings

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      vjCUSTOM
      Participant

I plan to change the strings on my VJ this weekend. The SC specs recommend medium tension strings. It has low tension strings right now. Can anyone tell me if there is a comparison to Elixer 10s which I usually use vs Elixer 11s or 12s in thinking about a change from low tension to high tension? I suspect this topic has been addressed elsewhere but I couldn’t find it in the Forum anywhere else. I am trying to avoid trial and error with the string change if I can. I appreciate any wisdom.

indexless
        Keymaster

Greetings VJ!

Welcome…..you’d need to go to the Elixir site to find what their string tensions are. If you’re using 10’s, those are pretty light gauge. I’m sure you’ll get some great info here. Again Welcome!

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

Hello, if you are strumming especially with something like a blue chip you’re going to go with mediums, if you’re a finger picker then you’re going to go with lights.  Maybe the guitar will have enough bottom end and power to use lights for strumming though, but not in my experience with Santa Cruz they require them.  Also sometimes SC sounds choked with mediums and it’s clearer with lights so if you’re solo you go with mediums and in a band go with lights.  It’s kind of always a trade off for me.

bert
            Participant

+1 Acoustic Soul

My VJ is from 2001 so don’t know if that makes a diff.  It had meds on it when I got it 7yrs ago but never since.  The Low Tensions work great for me.   I’m not a strummer, I play arpeggio with a light touch with a BlueChip TD42 mostly.  best regards and welcome,  Bert

vjCUSTOM
              Participant

Thanks everybody for the replies. You totally answered the questions I have. I strum some in open tunings but for the past 5-10 years have been doing a lot more fingerstyle. I think I will stick with the light tension strings. Thanks, again!

vjCUSTOM
                Participant

Follow up. I put the Medium Tension strings on and adjusted the Truss Rod. I kept them for about 2 weeks. For my style of play (mostly fingers and some open tunings) I went back to the low tension strings. It feels like the best match for me. Now I know. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.