Luthier Built Guitars

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      bert
      Participant

These two have been my steady companions during the pan-damnit. The VJ is a sweet 2001 build, and my luthier-built Baruke Jubilee, is a 2019 model. (Barukeguitars.com) Allen Williams is like many luthiers who love their work, down to earth and a joy to know. He’s running his shop in C-19 mode these days, I’m sure you understand. I’ve had the Jubilee right at a year now, it is a custom design based on a Small Jumbo, with torrified Carpathian spruce and sinker mahogany. These two guitars are very complimentary with some fundamental range diffs.

(btw, Allen did a fab reset on my old Martin a while back.)

The VJ is tried and true, sweet as they come, sitka/mahog. The Jubilee has a tad more punch with the euro spruce and one of the sweetest bass blends with mids-trebles that I’ve ever played.

I know others here have luthier-built guitars and thought I might start a thread on the subject.  bert

[img]https://i.imgur.com/b7adL3a.jpg[/img]
      [img]https://i.imgur.com/lbRWQkC.jpg[/img]

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by indexless.
      bert
      Participant

oops, I thought the imgur messg link worked here… not sure what to do for the pics.   bert

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by indexless.
      bert
      Participant

Thanks Rich, what would we do without you and Tad.   bert

Hank
      Participant

Bert you’re right Richard and Tad run this joint .

Looks like you like sunbursts !!!!

Nice looking brace of guitars Mate.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

tadol

While I’m honored to think that I’d be given any credit for the efforts made to make this such a great site, I must deny and say only that Mr Newman is doing not just the heavy lifting, but actually 100% of it – I’m just riding in the smoking car enjoying the view, feet up and drink in hand –

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Old 97
      Participant

My Cruz was built by Richard and Bruce Ross.

Guitars I have owned by single builders:

Wingert, Mustapick, Franklin,John Kinnaird

Currently own:

Merrill, Brondel,John McQuarrie.

Wishing to get;

Wingert,Michaud,Claxton Goodall

However…I just got solar panels.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

Hmm.  My OM was built in ‘91, so a four person shop, I think.

I’ve got the Pierret classical, hand built….and a couple of the parlors that I’ve made.

I want a Wingert CM a LOT (I passed on one years ago and have regretted it since).   A Robert Anderson 00-14-fret would also work, though they’re quite rare.

Daniel
      Participant

I suppose my philosophy with ordering custom instruments from luthiers is that I get one shot.  So I’ve got one guitar, a Hank Mauel 000-12, and a mandolin, a Gary Vessel F5/2 (ask if you want an explanation there).

I can’t really afford much these days and very happy with what I have.  (Though I am still itching for a solid body electric octave mandolin.)

Daniel

Matt Hayden
        Participant

Speaking of that Mauel… 😀

And send me the scale length and a neck-shape template on graph paper; I still have a maple/mahogany octave mando body and a long scarfed neck that was waiting for input when you moved a bit east of California.  It’s seasoned well…..

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Matt Hayden.
      wbb90TR
      Participant

My Tony Rice was built in August of ’90. Top signed by Otis B. Rodeo (Richard) and Jeff Traugott. I installed Waverly tuners with ivoroid buttons, a dalmation pickguard and fossil walrus bridgepins.

I would like to post some pics but haven’t figured out how. Any help please!

Walter

Old 97
      Participant

Posting pictures is easiest at the

Tdpri.com guitar forum.

indexless
        Keymaster

posting pictures is really easy on the Santa Cruz Guitar Players Forum as well,……click the last Icon in the editing bar  and watch the magic happen. Matt I’m sorry we’re not as cool as TDPRI, have you ever tried to post images on The Gear Page, it took them 10 years to get it right and they are still (as we are) working on it every day, we are a small but mighty force

Old 97
      Participant

I find the dash board, my profile, directions for all sorts of items.

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>Can pictures be uploaded from my files or must I have a url?</p>

Old 97
      Participant

Tdpri seems to be the forum that easily allows uploads from files. Acoustic guitar is url only. The gear page seems to have corrupted my password with their recent update.

indexless
      Keymaster

When you are making a post , the last icon as shown in this post that looks like a mountain is the way to insert images, does not need a URL, see insert image

Old 97
      Participant

Thanks. I finally got it figured out. Here I am in my glory days with Blarney Rubble. It was when the only guitar I needed was my Santa Cruz. We played Celtic, Bluegrass, and Old Time American music. Brenda, the hammered dulcimer player, won at Winfield the first time she entered. Dave, the bouzouki player, still collects vintage Martins and is a genius at all strings and flute.  Our fiddlerCarla, was a contest winner. Mike, the banjo player and executive editor of our local paper, got his old Gibson from David Grisman. Now Mike is teaching Journalism at his alma mater in Missouri.

Dave and Brenda got married awhile back. They have a duo of banjo and fiddle. Brenda also plays harp and guitar and has an all girl Celtic band,

http://www.bansheeinthekitchen.com

I learned a lot playing with this group. They were far better than I was so there was lots of woodshedding. I took up the bodhran to give us more authentic rhythms.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Old 97.
      Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Hank
      Participant

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

bert
      Participant

Give the pic thing another try…. thanks Rich for the refresh. This is my 2012 Archtop by Eastman, my son has the El Rey 4 archtop these days. Life is just not complete without an archtop… I had a Gibson ES150 for 30yrs but moved on as time went by:

Eastman John Pisano archtop

tadol

I keep looking for one of those Eastmans to try out! I was so close to buying a beautiful and easy to play guitar by a young Mr. Tyler Wells ( builds under the logo LHT) but the nut was just a bit tight, and before I spend a substantial (although very reasonable) amount on another guitar, I wanted to be sure it would be with me a very long time, and I just couldn’t come to that conclusion cause of the neck – but it was so hard to not grab it –

http://www.lhtguitars.com/thinline-green-burl-fugue

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

indexless
      Keymaster

Well, that’s a spectacular looking guitar

bert
      Participant

Tad, the LHTs look great, never heard of them til now, thanks.

Unless stated otherwise, the Eastmans are 1 3/4″ wide fretboard at the nut with their trad C shaped neck, 12″ radius :-).  Very easy to play in my experience. The two Eastmans I traded (AR805 16″ & AR810 17″ were very similar. Each played easy and sounded great (all 4 solid wood, their laminated b/s sound great with no feedback for a loud group. I don’t use fuzz boxes, just tad of reverb/delay type stuff. The Eastman Romeo is their hot-rockin model, plus their other handmade elecs.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/romeo

Don’t know about the LHTs, but the Eastman either come with fixed pickups or floating, and their bridges can be either as well. All four of mine have had the floating ebony bridge. Some players swap out the pickups. I traded my AR805ce for a custom tube amp Chris Roberts built for me, he’s a premium custom amp builder in Nashville. He wanted a 2nd AR805 so he could have two of the same guitars with diff pickups, setup etc.

bert

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

That is a gem of an Eastman arch top Bert.   I picked up a Eastman TV49 varnish after watching the Elvis returns TV Special awhile back on PBS .  The ES175 with single Seth Lover humbucker in neck position just nails that hot hollow body arch top tone.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

The Eastman that I had for a bit was an AR803CE.  Mine had a single-pickup (neck position) inset into the top (I don’t care for the tone of floating pickups on many archtops….).  It was a great instrument but someone came along, fell in love with it, and kept putting money on the table until I agreed to part with it.   In retrospect, I probably shouldn’t have parted with it, but I used like 20% of the proceeds to pick up another less expensive archtop, and the rest is in the fund to buy whatever it is I decide I really want when I grow up 🙂

Tad – if you get a chance to check one of those out, I’d do it; that guitar was right up your alley, with a sizable neck, big rich tone, and minimal fussing with controls to dial in a good sound.   They’re expensive now but not ridiculously so.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.