Low tension vs medium tension…………

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Low tension vs medium tension…………

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      hifivic
      Participant

Could someone tell me what difference I would feel and hear between the SC low tension and medium tension on a SCGC OM? Been using them for the last year on several guitars Lowden, Bourgeois…..both an OM as well as a dread, and I believer they are the best sounding and feeling strings I’ve ever owned in over 50 years of playing guitar. I have used low tension only.

Santa Cruz 000-12 fret

One off classical by Samick

indexless
        Keymaster

Welcome HiFiVic!

I’m sure you’ll get some opinions and answers here. Thanks for joining the conversation

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

I put up a video comparison on the forum if you search for it or go to Carmelo Santini youtube channel… it’s lengthy and in depth

hifivic
            Participant

Wow, thank you! To my ear it was immediate that the lights had more detail and articulation. The mediums while more powerful were bloated by comparison. Thanks again!

Santa Cruz 000-12 fret

Hank
              Participant

I have lites on the OM, FTC, H and F…….love Em.

Mids on the Dreads……Love Em

Awaiting the 12s for the Taylor

tadol
                Senior Moderator

Honestly – I think you won’t find a night and day difference – the medium will probably give you a bit more volume, the lights a bit easier to play. But beyond that, you’ll probably find that the differences will probably depend on the specific guitar, and the nuances of the set-up and build.  I don’t think the idea was to create a string that would sound different, but to make a series of strings (yes, we’re all keeping fingers crossed that other sets will be available in  the next few months!) that give you a consistency in what they present to your guitar, so that you get  more of the true nature of the guitars tone out.  Does that make sense?  Medium tension are suited to larger instruments, when you want the extra energy from a little more tension/mass to drive a larger or heavier soundboard. Light tension for smaller instruments, or guitars that aren’t built to need alot of energy input. But that doesn’t mean you cant use light on big guitars, or medium on small ones.  How YOUR guitar will respond will best be known when you try them.  But do keep in mind – having your guitar well set-up and adjusted will be critical if you want to really feel and hear the difference.

hifivic
                  Participant

Thanks Hank and Tadol.

Santa Cruz 000-12 fret

Acoustic Soul
                    Participant

Yeah that’s true, it really varies on the guitar.  They both work great when you want to change it up to a certain direction

sdelsolray
                      Participant

All other things being equal, the differences are minor, i.e., string diameters, individual string tensions, overall set tension, winding diameters, etc.  But as Tadol mentioned, other factors can change things, i.e., instrument sonic and behavioral characteristics, scale length, action, etc.  Add to that the musical genres involved, the right hand playing techniques utilized and the player’s personal preferences and aesthetics.

More simply, either set can be (and often are) wonderful.  Experience is the teacher.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by sdelsolray.
                    Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.