John Prine

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant
        wbb90TR
        Participant

So sad. He has won so many battles in his past. Brilliant songwriter. Love that man.

Chrisakadigdog
          Participant

Keeping a positive thought for this Troubador’s recovery. Thank You John Prine you wacked out weirdo and love bug junky.

indexless
            Keymaster

This is gonna get real ugly I fear. We lost Alan Merrill on Saturday, he wrote “I Love Rock an Roll”. GO John, you’ve always been  fighter

wbb90TR
              Participant

Been listening to a lot of John these last couple of days. His lyrics get deeper and deeper in meaning the more I listen. An amazing talented, crazy guy. Rolling Stone had a couple of great articles posted about his life and music.

Stay safe friends!

Walter

Daniel
                Participant

https://www.facebook.com/DNN12/videos/649704399146131
                  I live streamed “Speed of the Sound of Loneliness” a couple days ago.  Feeling a bit raw about his passing.

Daniel

Hank
                  Participant

When I was in High School in the western suburbs in the 60’s, I would drive into the “Old Town” section in Chicago.

This was the blooming center of the Folk Music scene at that time.

Coffee shops with guitar playing singer/songwriters were everywhere in the neighborhood.

The new and up and coming acts were mostly young guys with guitars who would do a couple of sets a night for tips and food.

I would go on weekends and listen for hours to John, Steve Goodman , Bob Gibson and Bob Camp , Chad Mitchell ,  The Limelighters and many others …good and bad.

It was an interesting time …..A time when I discovered how much playing a guitar  allowed me to express myself in a personal way .

wbb90TR
                    Participant

Icons, all, Zorro. A treasure of Americana.

Hank
                      Participant

Yea TR, The Old Town scene was pretty unique. It was an area of the city that had become the “Beatnik/Bohemian” enclave in the late 50’s and morphed into the ‘Folk Music Revival” of the early to mid 60’s. If I remember correctly the Comedy club Second City was also in that neighborhood. We would go there and see such unknown aspiring comics as John Balushi , Steve Martin, Dan Ackroid , Gilda Rattner and many of the early Sat. Night Live cast who were getting their first “Chops” .

I left for college out west in 65 and found the folk scene thriving in Denver at the Denver Folklore Center. Many years later I purchased  O.T.’s H from the DFC…….sort of a full circle thing.

tadol
                        Senior Moderator

Its just more than I want to deal with – we will never see his kind again –

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

Yep.  Bonnie Raitt said of him that he was as close to Mark Twain as we’d get in this lifetime, and I think that’s right.  He was an acute observer of the human condition, and he made all of his characters real, from Sam Stone to the Devil in “He Forgot that it was Sunday.”

haasome
                            Participant

There was a rebroadcast of the Terry Gross – John Prine interview on NPR’s Fresh Air show today. His recollection of collaborating with Phil Spector for songs on his last album were precious. Especially when asked if he was surprised that Spector committed murder. He said something like — well when you have as many guns hanging around as Phil did, sooner or later one of them is going to go off. He’s had a way and it will be missed.

– Paul –

bert
                              Participant

‘Angel from Montgomery’ is about as down to earth a story as ever told.

Lordy, hate to see them hearse wheels turning.

Silly Moustache
                                Participant

Hi, Sad to see ol’ John pass.  I was reading his Wikipedia entry and discovered that the cancer he had way back in ’98 was exactly the same that I had in 2017, years ago, but I managed to avoid the surgery (so far).

So I say down and video#d three JP numbers that have been in my solo repertoire for some years.

I have to say that I apologise for not using my Santa Cruz for them!

Cheer John, thanks for all the music!

Hank
                                  Participant

Thanks Silly…nicely done.

I also am a Big C survivor.

NEVER EVER GIVE UP !

Matt Hayden
                                    Participant

Don’t give up indeed.  And glad that you survived the big C and the misery that is Mohs surgery and recovery.

Andy, thanks for the videos.  Wonderful stuff.

Hank
                                      Participant

I’ve had about a dozen MOHS surgeries….not fun……But a piece of cake compared to the bladder cancer surgery I had 24 years ago…….The way they get to the interior of the bladder to cut out the cancer will make one HOWELLLL !!!

look up TURP…better yet don’t.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.