IVORY SADDLE

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ciosi
      Participant

Hi folks,

I want to know opinions of ivory saddle. Thank you .

Frozen Rat
        Participant

My opinion is that the ivory should stay on the animal. You will be just as happy with bone.

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

Ciosi
          Participant

Yes i know … but sometimes a elephant should be natural  died and someone can to buy ivory and to do saddle and someone can to buy the ivory saddle . Is it for real ?

Daniel
            Participant

Hi Ciosi,

Do you mean fossilised mammoth ivory?  I’m a bit out of touch with guitar paraphernalia, but I recall that being discussed some years ago.

Basically, denser material absorbs less energy than lighter material.  So a denser material should improve volume, tone, and sustain.  Most fossilised mammoth ivory will be more dense than most bone.  Though, it doesn’t always make a guitar sound better.

I think it’s worth a try if you can find some legitimate material.  🙂

Daniel

Ciosi
              Participant

thank you Daniel . 

It was only a question because i saw the website of Bob Colosi and he sell ivory saddle .

Thank u .

Frozen Rat
                  Participant

Colosi won’t ship them outside of Georgia, so unless you live there you can’t get one anyway; and I second what Tadol said about any use of this material adding indirect risk to the animals.

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Frozen Rat.
                  tadol
                  Senior Moderator

Regardless of anything, the tonal difference between ivory and good bone is gonna be pretty minimal, and no matter what anyone tries to tell you, the continued sale and use of ivory from any source only leads to increased demand and poaching of elephants just for their ivory. Just like illegal drug sales and distibution has severely negative effects in the neighborhoods it happens in, this poaching is being done by gangs and armed militant groups that also threaten the lives and safety of villages and local residents. And on top of that, anything with ivory can be impossible to travel with (and can possibly get seized at borders).

Its everyones choice, but before considering ivory, exhaust options with strings, picks, and really good bone saddle and nut (which you would already have on a SCGC instrument) and set-up.  Scarcity and cost might be appealing for some, but the secondary costs of ivory are too great for me –

Ciosi
                    Participant

Thank you to all sc brothers.

I decide to put a bone saddle….?????

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.