Is this how it happens?

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Is this how it happens?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

I have seem to have lost the music in my hands.

The music cupboard, an armoire, stands in the living room full of mandolins and gear with four the guitars surrounding it and Rémy’s violin on the floor (!, that boy.) in front of it. Two amps rest in a corner, unused.

I pull out a mandolin to play aloing with Rémy as he practices his timing (full notes, half notes, and quarters), and sometimes I try to pick a tune afterward.  But my hands are no longer accustomed to the work I am asking of them.  I stumble through tunes that I have written and recorded.

When Claudine and I had Gisèle and then Rémy, she gave up writing, playing, and singing. I miss her voice.  But now that we are in France and the kids are older, I seem to have followed her lead.

I work more at my day job now than I did in the UK, and the kids are busier than when they were younger.  Homework, piano, violin, swimming, choir, etc all take nearly as much adult time as the children’s time.  It takes as long to write lesson plans as it does to teach them, and then there is the grading.

Maybe I’m just going through a dry spell.  Maybe not.  Is this how it happens?  Is this how life’s obligations swallow up the time, space, and energy for something not devoted to work and family?

[bizarre coincidence:  I just got an unsolicited email from a folk club in the UK asking if I could come play for them next year.  I’m not sure –for so many reasons– how to answer that!]

I am actively wondering if I should sell off most of the gear, pare it down to a couple mandolins and two guitars.  At the moment, I can’t see myself gigging again.  Weird.

Anyone else been through this?

Thanks!

Daniel

indexless
      Keymaster

It’s crazy times Daniel, I wouldn’t make a moves like selling unless you get an offer you can’t refuse, Music is a tonic for our souls, try to give yourself 20 minutes a day, but most important is to just have fun

bert
      Participant

To keep skills at a high level demands a lot of time. Priorities get in the way to a great extent. I’m retired now but when I worked for a software company travel was at a peak, no time for anything but catch the next plane, etc. Now that I’m retired it’s all about energy, always something needing a remedy.

Yes, going through this pattern is difficult struggle.

best wishes,  bert

Mr. Jelly
      Participant

Things evolve, goals are met, passions rise and fall. And rise again. Change is a constant so embrace it. But fools rush in. I’d guess you are mentally and emotionally getting ready for a new journey. That’s exciting isn’t it? Hopefully it involves music. Take care.

SC 00 Sitka/Hog 1929 Cowboy purfling Buttertoast
      Collings 001 T
      Waterloo WL-S Deluxe

Dermot
      Participant

Daniel

Thanks for the heartfelt welcome to this forum.

I don’t know what’s going on with you.

Give yourself a break.

Come up for some air.

🙂

Hank
      Participant

Daniel,
      A couple of nights ago i was posting almost the same feeling….then I hit the wrong key and it all dissapeared.
      I play almost everyday but I’m playing like S#*T and can’t seem to focus on anything.
      matt H.has been verykind to give me some jazz lessons and Digdog has suggested some excellent tips of learning Bossa Nova but my attempts to advancemy playing are flailing and frustrating.
      I am losing interest even in my own style at which some folks thought I was pretty good……And I have a new 000 due in a couple of weeks.
      I’m acutly aware of my oncoming 75th Trip Around The Sun and I simply can’t understand How I Got This F^%#King old..
      I too think I may winnow out the Ramuda…but I can’t get up the heart to make a decision as to which of them I would sell….ALL are great to ride and each speaks to me in its own special voice..
      But as I have a bit of life experience, I can tell you that “This To Will Pass”. Your Talant come from deep in your soul and the avalanche of lifes issues will melt and allow the light to warm up your desires again.
      I’m going to look for inspiration and promise in the time I have left if only because this is the only trip we get….and the only regrets are the things left undone.
      Dee is rehearsing her Patsy Cline tribute set list as I write this. She is in her early 70s and after 33 years as a trauma/ O.R. nurse she has found her lifes joy in singing and performing….. She is my hero and I’ll follow her lead.
      I’ve always said “Never Give Up”…..so I would say to you the same….remember Tis is the only shot we get at this life.
      Peace and Fair Winds Friend….Play ON.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Daniel
      Participant

Thanks guys.  🙂

I guess I’m just kvetching.  I have nothing to complain about; indeed everything to celebrate.  I have an amazing life here in France.
      I have made time for yoga on a Tuesday night, choir on Wednesdays and Fridays.  I’ll fit some manual practice in in Thursdays maybe.  😉

hugs to all,
      Daniel

bert
      Participant

They’re all grown now but, I have a daughter and two sons… you’ve got your hands full now yet you’ve got a wonderful spirit about today, time changes things.  hugs back, bert

Hank
      Participant

Daniel,

Maybe we need to adopt this idea.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Hank.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.