I REALLY wish

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Somewhere on this forum are discussions about quick and simple ,one touch recording.

Please ….any of you sound engineer types come up with one…..create a package that we “Quiet ,late night, slightly “Enhanced” players might easily use to record a decent replica of the really GOOD STUFF I was doing tonight…..I mean I was Brillllliant.

I suffer from Microphone panic syndrome , and all the playing I have posted on this forum sounds rushed and nervous to me.

But…sometimes…like tonight, the stars line up and I play the living Crap out of 2 or 3 of the Ramuda…….I mean I’m good !

If only I had a Always set Up Rig with One Button Push…….

tadol
        Senior Moderator

Honestly, the new cell phones have some pretty great recording capability, and if you really want even better sound, there are a number of microphones available that plug in and can give you even better response. For quick recording on the fly, its pretty sweet.  If you want to buy a dedicated unit, there are a lot of good hand-held recorders from companies like Zoom that have some great features, but are very easy to use. Step up from there, and izotope makes the Spire, which is a stand alone device that records, and can do multiple tracks very easily when used with an iPhone or iPad, including effects and such.

But for pure simplicity, an iPhone or iPad with a add on mic and mic stand, is pretty darn good – and Garageband is included, too!

indexless
          Keymaster

Tadol speaks truth, the new phones are pretty great, or you could buy a Zoom H4, put it on a little tripod and hit the button

Hank
              Participant

Richard,

Since you are the “Grand Guru” of the recording arts, I’m going to take your advice and get a Zoom H4…..If it’s good enough for you (and Barber Derrick),”The pro From Dover”, it’s more than good enough for me.  Thanks for listening Y’all

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Hank.
              Hank
              Participant

Thanks gentleman,

I have an android phone but it has a decent recording app.

I also have a mic to phone connect adapter.

I would like to set this up with 2 mics on the guitar and one for voice.

I have very good voice mics.

Are there any reasonable quality gitar mics for a reasonable $$ ?

bert
                Participant

An old friend used to say ‘there ain’t no such thing as being a little pregnant’  Afraid that’s the way all this recording stuff goes.

As a directional mic, my one and only Shure SM81 has done the trick for the past ~7-8yrs, picks up very little ambient room noise and is great for argeggio.  It has been used in many of the best recording studios for acoustic over the years. For Omni recording of vocals/rhythm guitar I have a Shure KSM44 as it’s companion. For home recording, these two a very high quality mics… IMO.  bert

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/sm81

bert
                  Participant

Just remembered, I made a rhythmic arpeggio video featuring my Eastman OM and the Shure SM81. Notice the positioning of the mic, extremely important to get a quality recording:

indexless
                    Keymaster

Bert,

Sounds great and you speak the truth….I  thought Mr Fox wanted a simple turn it on and go……three mic’s is a studio, I LOVE the KM81….fab mic

Barber Derek
                      Participant

I have the ZOOM H4N Pro and it’s quite easy to use and has impressive sound.  It also has a 4 track mode if you want to do something more elaborate.  I’m doing all the basic tracks with the ZOOM H4N Pro for the album I’m working on and it is quite versatile.

Matt Hayden
                        Participant

I’ve been using Izotope Spire using my iPad only, and it is remarkably easy to use.  The iPad mic is good, or I connect a Blue Snowball to it, and it’s even better.
                          It’s about as close to one-touch as I’ve found.  I’m a technical guy but I still hate context-switching between pressing the record button and playing, and this elminates much of it.  I’m trying to rig up a foot switch to allow me to start/stop the recording; that’d be about all I want.

/mh

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.