Humidity!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Dannymeeg
      Participant

Hey folks,

Over here in Ireland, the humidity is usually perfect for guitars (in or around 50%). We had a cold dry winter so I had to buy a humidifier.

This morning, the sun was beaming into the guitar room and the hygrometer was showing 32% so I stuck the humidifier on but forgot to turn it off. Walked into the room and hour and I was greeted by a dense mist and the hygrometer flashing red lights! It was 92% – ahhhhh!!

I immediately turned on the dehumidifier to take down the humidity gradually. My guitars are all relatively new… Does it take long for humidity to have an affect on a newish guitars?

Many thanks!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Dannymeeg.
        Anonymous

I am not an expert. My experience is with the mid-west climate in the U.S. Here we have large swings often. My experience is that it takes a bit of time to hear the humidity effect in either direction. I would put it at about 24 hours +/-.  I am interested to hear what others think.

bert
          Participant

+1 on what Mr Jelly said, It is a much talked about topic with acoustic guitars. Guitar shops, builders, etc install high end systems to keep humidity in line. For the home not so much is needed.

I live in the Atlanta area which can be very humid. I have a Frigidaire 50pt room dehumidifier (see pic) for high humidity during the spring and fall. The air conditioning in the summer and the heat during the winter do a good job, most of the time. In the winter I can turn on the whole house humidification system as part of the heating system if needed.

I have a couple of Ambient Weather, low cost home hygrometers which I check the readout often.
            There are as many methods of managing humidity as there are players seems to me.
            Bert

Dannymeeg
            Participant

Thanks guys! It usually very easy to maintain the correct humidity so hopefully the one hour of extreme humidification won’t do any harm!

indexless
              Keymaster

I have been bestowed with a few different humidity devices, I don’t use them, if anyone wants them PM me and I’ll send them to you.

Hank
                Participant

Danny …all above good advice.

We keep the Ramuda in a RH controlled cabinet and when playing inside the house AC is always about 50-55% so no problema.

When we play outside the RH can be 90% . we play for a couple of hours….or until the sweat is making the strings rust out……then I put the guitar on a stand in the AC or back in the cabinet for an hour or 2…….again all is well.

Play on McDuff !!!

Dannymeeg
                  Participant

Hahahaha! Thanks for the reassurance Hank! I’ll stop fretting over it now, pun intended! 😉

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.