How many of us ?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

We who are fortunate enough ( or smart enough) to own SCGC instruments are a bit of a separate tribe.

We are not satisfied with  just any instrument…regardless of our musical prowess, (or lack thereof), we like the sound of “something special “.

I now have 2 “other ” special guitars that share the corral with my SC’s. An older Martin HD-28 and a newly arrived Taylor 12 string.

But …. the Santa Cruz instruments are the ones that I pick up ….time and time again. Not just for their voice but also for their “Magic” .

I always try to add instruments to the Ramuda that have a “special ” Hook…..tone. visual appeal , history .

I will always remember sitting in Artisan Guitars in Franklin , Tn. and having Bill Warmouth hand me many guitars

Collings, Froggies, Olsons…etc. I always returned to the SC’s…. both for Power and voice.

Bill and Richard Hoover and I spent hours specking out the 34 Zorro…. along with much input from past and current forum members.

I try to express to folks who don’t understand the concept of Guitars as “playable” art ,rather than just Tools to make music, the special joy of Santa Cruz guitars

Every time I sit down and play (almost an hour or two every day), I thank “all the gods there may be”that I am able to have my efforts  sound so much better because of the art of SCGC.

Ok… maybe I’m over thinking this whole thing….Now that our State is open and getting back to “Normal….but I’m sure glad I was able to ride the Ramuda during the storm……..

Fair Winds…

Daniel
        Participant

Damn.  Now I feel downright neglectful for not playing my SCGC more.

Daniel

Hank
          Participant

Daniel,

I find as I am approaching what some people consider ‘Old Age” that I can center my thoughts on what I consider to be “truths”. Facts, I have learned , are subject to interpretation , ….but Truth is simple and incontrovertible.

The voices of my Santa Cruz guitars show me truths…..my shortcoming in technique and my occasional flashes of musical inspiration……both of which are humbling and inspiring at the same time.

That they are beautiful also is just a plus.

Never ,ever quit looking for truth.

Acoustic Soul
            Participant

I agree with you Zorro, I have LOVED the H13 and OM Grand that I’ve had but hated that I didn’t get them in mahogany or a larger body or something for strumming and singing.  H13 didn’t have enough and the OM Grand did but projected too much.  I look forward to finding the right Santa Cruz.  I have wondered if there were any other makers like that out there myself, and have really looked into froggy as a possibility for that more Gibson style guitar since SC seems to go after more Martin style.  I found it actually impossible to communicate with the builder but he is indeed a very nice man, it’s just like he is speaking portuguese and I’m speaking Japanese or something.

Hank
              Participant

I have to say that SCGC instruments have their own unique voicing….neither Gibson or Martin . That I think it the greatness of Mr. Hoovers concepts of luthiery. His statements that he derived his construction methods from the masters of violin creation and his unique vision of sonic energy I think has made his guitars seperate from all others…at least to my old ears.

I remember when I decided to enter the world of high end guitars I did so with no preconception of who was “Better” than another.

It was quite by karma that I found a used S.C. Da-1 at Guitar Center in ft. Myers, Fl..

It was hanging way up on the wall among Martins and Gibsons and Taylors . I asked the sale guy about it and he said “I don’t know anything about it , but I think it’s made in California “.

I had been trying out the high end models of the “big three” and then I played the Santa Cruz.

It voice was unlike anything else I had played….I mean REALLY different. I knew then that I had found the Truth….as I perceived it. That Santa Cruz sound is distinct and original.

Chrisakadigdog
                Participant

Just about every morning my aging truth’s are staring back at me as I run the comb over my ever thinning hair and more apparent lines in my face are looking like a charcoal drawing.

Then there are those moments when I pull an acoustic from the wall and A serendipitous moment of fingers and notes remind me of why I enjoy the acoustic guitar. WHOAH. Were that come from, I must be developing some of that musical muscle memory.

An enjoyable post and thread ZORRO!

tadol
                  Senior Moderator

How can you argue with any of that? I honestly regret almost every SC I’ve sold, and not a single one I’ve bought – and that’s saying a bit.  In the last couple weeks I’ve enjoyed my koa H, koa OM, maple F, eir F, hog VS, walnut 12 string, and eir bari – each one special, and no way I could rank one over another.

I do have a couple of other “specials”, also by builder/friends – a Klepper, which I am so grateful Howard let me get at an insanely good price for such a unique instrument, and, of course, a few Sexauers. Bruce has become someone I am glad to have as a friend, and with our wives have vacationed in Italy (my only trip out of the US) which makes for wonderful memories that go so far beyond just the incredible guitars he builds.

But – Richard and the crew at Santa Cruz put something special into every build, something that rings true when you pick it up – and I’m a little bit happier whenever I do –

haasome
                    Participant

SCGC, their guitars, and the people associated with SCGC are very special indeed. I haven’t heard much directly from the company about their re-emergence from the Covid cave. I hope they will open soon, and in good position going forward.

– Paul –

Old 97
                      Participant

Yesterday I started by playing my Gibson F9 mandolin. I’m working on learning Ashokan Farewell and in the process transferring it to my new violin. Then I took out the Lowden I acquired. Walnut and Cedar, it is an 023c, jumbo body size with a cutaway. Then I took out the Merrill OM 28 for a spin. Finally I took out the Cruz.

All are very good.

The Cruz is great,

Daniel
                        Participant

Matt,

That is the first instrumental tune I ever learned to play.  I learned it in D on guitar –my SCGC as a matter of fact– and then taught myself to play it on the mandolin.

I’ve lately been trying it in different keys; G, A, and C mostly.  Playing it on a 5 string mando allows you to play the melody in two octaves, much like the range of a guitar generally allows multiple octaves.  So I’ve been going for it.

Hope you are enjoying it!

Daniel

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Daniel.
                          wbb90TR
                          Participant

Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar and Molly Mason is one of the most beautiful tunes associated with Ken Burns Civil War series. I totally enjoy playing that on my ’90 TR. Usually at the end of the night when the house is quiet and still. It is always requested by my wife as she relaxes, content to listen with eyes closed….

I also play it in D, slowly, as it was written, but with my own take. Of course, not imitating Russ Barenburg’s beautiful work on the tune, but certainly inspired by it!

Another hauntingly beautiful tune, also in D, is O’Carolan’s Shebeg Shemore (my take on the spelling). Similar feeling to Ashokan Farewell.

Stay safe and well, friends,

Walter

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.