Hello Again!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

Testing 123… Thump Thump… Is this thing on?

It’s nice to see  your names again on my computer screen.

I am raising my head above the parapet here just to say hello.  I still feel bad about the disintegration –for purely technical reasons that are beyond my knowledge base and skill set– of the old SCGC forum.  I just did not have the time necessary to learn what needed to be known and do what needed doing to keep it working.  It kept me up nights for a while.  So for the record, I am deeply sorry about that.

I’m glad Richard and all at SCGC have found a workable solution, and I’m happy to chat with you all again!

I’ve still got my SCGC custom dreadnought called the 1942BGD.  Red spruce over mahogany with simple appointments, and that big wide open SCGC sound.  I use to record rhythm and melody guitar parts on my CDs.   (Actually it didn’t get on CD2, Almost Home, because it needed a set up and I didn’t have time to find a luthier I trusted with it.  But it’s all over the as yet untitled CD3.)

So technically I’m still a SCGC guitar player!  Indeed on record I am my own guitar player.

I am however, still predominantly a mandolinist.  (I know, I know.  But you can’t account for taste and you can’t fight fate. 🙂 )  I just acquired an Arrow G5 five string mandolin made by Paul Lestock.  It’s basically a mandolin version of a Gibson L-5CES.

I am developing a ‘sound’ that includes a lot of 5 string mandolin.  The new CD will have loads of it.  So for recording purposes, my two primary instruments are a JBovier EMC-5 (strat style body) and the Arrow.

I’m still gigging the Hathaway octave mandolin and the Mix F5 until I start gigging behind the newer material.

Oh! And I altered a Concert ukulele.  It’s tuned like a mandola now: CGDA.  Sounds like a little classical guitar.  I have gigged with it.  It makes a nice addition to the mandolin and octave mandolin voices.

There’s loads of personal news too.  Kids are growing.  We’re moving to France next week –my kids and half my instruments are already there.  Hit me up for news on that front if you’re interested.

big manly hugs!

Daniel

Hank
        Participant

Daniel…Wonderful to see you here. I never had a chance to thank you for all of the work you did on the “old” Forum.
          With the advent of the “New” Forum ,and with my having a small insight into the tremendous amount of work involved, I realized how much time and effort is needed to build the operation.
          Our wonderful and very hard working Keymaster has produced a great new version and I’m so glad you’re back.
          You were one of the ” guides” in my decision to build a SC 1934 Zorro Edition. I now have 5 SCs and someday hope to commission ( with the help of the current Forum members) a Very special FTC.
          We have a lady friend who is an excellent mando player… I love the addition to the whole that a Mando brings to our Jams here on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico… The invite is always open for you to join us.
          Fair Winds,
          Zorro

Anonymous

Good to hear from you Daniel. Thanks for all you’ve done for this forum.

haasome
            Participant

Hi Daniel. I’m new to the SCGC Forum. It’s nice to have an old hand revisit the Forum. I’ve owned 3 SCGC instruments and currently own 2; an OM and a Custom Ordered OMG that I just received. Welcome back!

– Paul –

tadol
              Senior Moderator

Great to have you back!  I’ve caught a bit of your career thru the occasional Facebook post (I’ve been avoiding Facebook almost enirely for a while now) and it sounds like you’re in a great place and the music is sounding great. Hope to see you here more often!

Matt Hayden
                Participant

Welcome back!

Daniel
                  Participant

Thanks very much all.

Tad, if I weren’t a gigging musician I would not be on FB.  A few people whose views I respect a great deal have gone off it completely.  I’m going to resurrect the email list.  Give me a shout if you want to be on it!

Zorro, That’s pretty cool.  Good luck with the new build!  (I think it should have the sign of Zorro on the 12th fret.)

Daniel

tadol
                    Senior Moderator

Definitely add me!! And I assume Matt is a reasonable contact as agent for stateside distribution of your CDs? Make sure he keeps his inventory up!

Daniel
                      Participant

Will do.

My address is daniel.nestlerode@gmail.com.  Shoot me an email.

I don’t know if Matt has any CDs at the moment.  But ‘ll  be happy to send him some and you as well.

Daniel

Matt Hayden
                        Participant

I’ve only got the ones you’ve sent, but they’re quite excellent.

Daniel
                          Participant

Matt and Tad,

I’ll be happy to send a few more if you think people will be interested in them.

All,

Update:
                            Since 6 August, our arrival in the village of Chamouille (pronounced sham-wee by the locals and sham-00-ee by southern French), the instruments have remained virtually unplayed.  I’ve busted out the 5 stringers a couple times.  The solid-body is good for riffing while the family is asleep.  I have a Vox AC30 headphone amp, and I’m wondering how I lived without it all those years.

I’m on a huge Heart binge.  Digging around YouTube for anything that predates the big hair 80s era and postdates 2000.  I am in love with Ann Wilson’s voice, but can’t abide that corporate metal they did for a while.  There’s a version of Dog & Butterfly from 2002 out there that gives me chills.

And I taught myself (finally after 35 years) the main guitar riff in A minor from Crazy On You.  That’s a lot of fun on a 5 string emando.  I know you guys have probably all been there, done that, and forgotten it by now.  But I seem to be reliving my teenage musical ambitions via the 5 string mandolin!  Next thing you know, I’ll be doing a note for note copy of the solo from Comfortably Numb!

Hope all is well with all of you!

Daniel

Daniel
                            Participant

OK.  Well, the most amazing woman in the world, mother of my diabolically adorable (or is the adorably diabolical?) children, has signed me up to participate in a jam tomorrow night.  My first musical interaction since moving to France.

Trying to remember: Do = C, Re = D, Mi = E etc.  I’m sure I’ll catch 1/3 of what’t being said.

Oh, and get this, it’s electric.  I guess ‘unplugged’ never quite made it here. Now where did I put those earplugs?

Daniel

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.