Hear Ye Hear Ye…call for questions

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Hear Ye Hear Ye…call for questions

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      indexless
      Keymaster

Greetings Members,

Our next podcast with Richard Hoover will be a Q&A, so, if you have any questions that are not posted in Ask SCGC please submit them to me or post them here, we’re gonna clean up the Q& A and test the process, it might even lead to a Facebook Live or something along that order. Deadline for this is 8-18-20, let’s get those cards and letters coming in

Hank
        Participant

I would like to hear Richard’s thoughts on how the binding material affects the final voice of a guitar.

Does he change anything if the binding material is an exotic wood versus a MOP or Paua or versus Iveroid ?

Acoustic Soul
          Participant

I would like to hear his thoughts on a 17″ lower bout FTC.  I prefer the 17 to 16 and 18 inch on arch tops and would love to hear an FTC with a bit bigger sound.  It would be better for us who don’t fingerpick I would think and like a chunkier response

Hank’s question about binding would also be interesting to hear, when I ordered my guitar they said it was just cosmetic but in the years later they said it all helps here and there and effects it … so I’d be curious if they pinned down the effect of wood binding.  I know that the binding they use when it’s not wood is plant derived though

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Acoustic Soul.
            Barber Derek
            Participant

That’s a really interesting question, nice!

Matt Hayden
              Participant

A general discussion of neck shapes would be interesting.

And talking about how they get the herringbone installed; theirs looks the best in the industry and I can’t figure out how they do it…doG knows I’ve tried.

Hank
                Participant

Having posted pictures of the 1934 Zorro on the ‘It’s all about the wood” page…in honor of its’ upcoming 4th birthday…. I really would like to know Richard’s thoughts on the whole  “opening Up” of a guitar made from materials of that caliber .

if the woods used on the 1934 models are very old to begin with ( both B&S and Top ) and it sounds so very good when delivered to a player then how much more “Opening Up ” really occurs ?

I do believe that after almost 4 years of playing the instrument that I “hear” a difference in the voice….but is that just my learning the sound that was always there or does it actually mature further ?

I keep the guitar in a climate controlled cabinet and the humidity is always between 40-50 %.

I understand that instrument made of much younger woods may dry out and Open Up…..but very old woods ??

LukeF
                  Participant

In the past I had asked Richard if he would consider building guitars with EVO fret wire, and his answer was no.  Has he changed his stance on this?  Would he consider it as an option now that SCGC has become a custom shop?

indexless
                    Keymaster

Hey Luke,

I submitted all the questions earlier today, I’ll see if we can slip it in.

Hank
                      Participant

LukeF…great question…. My 1993 martin HD-28 is in need of a re-fret and I am strongly considering Gold EVO wire….. I look forward to Maestro Hoovers answer.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.