Guitar related improvements on hold

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Guitar related improvements on hold

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Hank
      Participant

Well , I won’t be doing anything with guitars for awhile.

Last night I  went into the Laundry room to put some dirty clothes in the hamper………water everywhere….coming up from a a broken supply pipe. flowing under wall into guest bath.

In Florida in the 80s ,when our house was built, they ran copper pipes under the slab. The hard water, lightning strikes and time cause the pipes to fail. Epic repair or Re-pipe only options.

Plumber here sometime this A.M……Lots of $$$$$ ……S**t

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Hank.
      indexless
      Keymaster

Ouch….good luck…had that happen in Burbank after the 94 earthquake, took 10 days to get a guy with a jack hammer

tadol

Sounds like you need to order a couple rolls of PEX and spend some time watching YouTube!

’course, if you do decide to hire a pro, and need to sell that nice mahog OM –  just sayin’ –

😉

Lots o’ SCGC guitars! But never ask which is my fav

Hank
        Participant

I love Det cord , but a bit of over kill. I’ve elected to go for the re-pipe. I had to laugh when he told me there was a 25 year  guarantee on parts….. I’m 74.

No Tad, the Ramuda is paid for and I came too close to breaking the Karmic structure with the F travels.

My Gas is complete with the addition of the FTC…… I am a HAPPY  Guitar playing old fart.

The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

haasome
      Participant

That’s a bummer Hank. Sorry to hear this. Is there anyway you can tap into the supply where it enters the house and keep all the new piping distribution (PEX as suggested by Tad) above the slab inside the house by building raceways against walls with an innovated baseboard trim arrangement? I did this on my last home I built when the copper failed after 30 years. Good luck.

– Paul –

Hank
      Participant

Paul,

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Florida Hurricane codes are real strict about re-pipes. I’ll follow the requirements and live with them . I think our state has learned from many years of history and I have lived here for over 1/2 my life.  We now will run PEX with copper connections through the attic and down the walls . ALL New valves , and ALL new connections to appliances.

About 10 Grand….but I do receive a discount on my Homeowners Ins. for the next 10 years.

I do have to say that their is a lot of common sense in this state… only because their was so much fraud here years ago.

AND…. the Governor is a guitar player…. a Taylor… but still a picker.

tadol

Sounds like the best approach –

haasome
      Participant

Agree, makes sense. Maybe you could write a song about this 😉

– Paul –

Old 97
      Participant

I remember selling my 1999 SCGC OM to pay for engine rebuild in my truck, FireFly for my son’s tuition,, John Kinnaird L00 to put a new floor in my bathroom, and the Franklin OM 28 to pay the IRS. I have a guitar for sale.  The prospective buyer pulled out because his refrigerator died.

There’s always something.

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Ouch. A few years back our well pump took a second dump . I week and $12,000 later we were showering again.  So much for my next SCGC. Custom-build for awhile.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

So sorry this happened. Is the new repipe going to be above ground, at least?

in 2009 I was headed for a new SCGC but a tweaker in a Mitsubishi decided my car needed a trunk-shortening, and that guitar got put off to 2012.

Always something.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Matt Hayden.
      bert
      Participant

Hank, can commiserate.

You probably remember Hurricane Delta in early Oct. It came thru ATL with fury and huge rains. So much so that my next door neighbor and I had to have a new Storm Water drain system installed. The crews were so backed up that it was ~Nov 5 when finally finished. My car was happy to be back in the rear of the house.

All is well again aside from the 10K that got washed down the creek. uhhh, maybe a new guitar next year. bert

bert
      Participant

For whatever reason, my pic did not post,…try agsin.

Hank
      Participant

Bert,

Yep, I pay attention to All the Hurrligirls ( Screw PC, Hurricanes will always be ladies to me) and Delta lady was a wet one.

My problem is that we are the Lightning Capital of North America and I would guess we have 500 strikes a season in our neighborhood…it simply takes its toll over the years.

It’s life in the Southeast.

At least I don’t have to find an address on “Peachtree” Ave, St, Pkwy , lane or Circle.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

500 strikes a year?  Good grief…I forget how flat it is.  Stick your head up and the lighting will get ya.

I hear what you say about ATL.  I used to spend a bunch of time building computers for local public safety in Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb and more, and I never got used to hearing “It’s right off Peachtree…..”. I was never as glad as when car GPSes started giving good directions so I had a prayer of figuring out where I needed to go.

tadol

I don’t wanna hear about disasters cancelling new guitars!  We have a heckuva wind running thru the bay area tonite, and I just spent a half hour searching around the neighborhood for a skylight that blew off. I’m hoping a neighbor might find it tomorrow, and that its intact, and that it didn’t do any serious damage when it came down –

I know – not the same as hurricanes, but theres a good reason I like living on the San Francisco Bay –  😉

Matt Hayden
      Participant

Our redwoods took a good trimming from the wind. We’re not going to need the tree service this year.

A neighbor’s walnut blew down, and there’s an old black acacia down as well.  I’m already trying to get some of the wood; both make good guitars (et cetera)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.