Good thread on the Dead and Garcia's playing

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion Good thread on the Dead and Garcia's playing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant
      Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Mixolodian chromatic and recovering with grace is a good description.     I’ve been following some of the current Dead tour post’s. And have watched and listened to JM doing his take /solos on classic tunes.. At the beginning it was kind’ve   Well,,,,,  not quite JG feel, more blues guitar riffing.    But as time has passed JM has had some brilliant moments.  The whole band seemed to meld into it’s zone quite sweetly.  Eye’s of the World   Is one of the solid examples.   I’ll try to locate that clip and post

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

https://youtu.be/A-pTux43ttU  Another example   Could not find the right Eyes Of The World

Hank
      Participant

I’ve never been a fan of Myers……until now.

He really does “Get IT” at least with Wolf.

I don’t know why anyone would be frustrated because they can’t duplicate the solos of JG……Hell, I don’t think HE EVER played a song the same way twice.

Dee had some of her local jam band over the other day and I sat in and asked if they wanted to do “Friend Of The devil”?

I played rhythm (and sang) and another played lead and another bass……..we played the song for about 10 minutes.

I would guess that about 5 minutes sounded like the real deal…..then we just went our own way…..I think JG would have approved the improv jam.

1993 Martin HD-28 IR/Sitka
      2001 SCGC F Cutaway Maple/German (For Sale)
      2008 SCGC OT Madi/Italian
      2015 SCGC OM “The Tree” Hog/ European
      2016 SCGC 1934 D45 Braz/ Adi
      2016 Taylor K62 CE Limited Edition 12 string all Koa
      2019 SCGC FTC Granadillo/Redwood
      Life is a journey…not a guided tour,
      The Bay,The Gulf Stream , The Open Ocean are particular about who they share their secrets with.

Chrisakadigdog
      Participant

Definitely off into the either. Sometimes it works. For Jerry most frequently it did.

Matt Hayden
      Participant

The Dead were pretty good at letting the music take them where it wanted to go.   Sometimes the song was shorter and arranged, and sometimes it branched out…..both work, just different ways of approaching the tune.

Old 97
      Participant

I never saw Jerry look at his guitar neck. He was always looking straight ahead the dozen plus times I saw either the Dead or the Garcia band. My bands King Crab, Dwarf Rat, Lima Bean Wrist Rocket, The Huckleberries/Dead Country, have been playing the Dead catalog since 1975 when were in college. With a pedal steel player now, we really twist it sideways. Dark Star was my intro to playing Mixolydian. Plenty of songs are Major Pentatonic with Chromatic runs and doses of blue notes to connect phrases. One series of phrasing actually reminded me of a John McLaughlin’s ever changing riff patterns  with Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Jerry was always searching for the sound, finding it more often than not.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.