Gloss vs Satin Neck Finish

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      haasome
      Participant

I own guitars that have necks with a Gloss finish and others with a Satin finish. If you asked me which I prefer, I probably couldn’t tell you which I prefer. I have had builders and players tell me “The best guitars have gloss.” And I’ve heard the opposing view from other builders and players. My 2 favorite guitars are both Custom builds and one has Gloss Neck and the other a Satin Neck. I like the feel and playability of both. Any opinions or preferences from members of this forum regarding Gloss vs Satin?

– Paul –

Matt Hayden
        Participant

Even if it starts out satin, it’ll be glossy in spots from playing, and usually pretty soon. Satin is beautiful but it doesn’t last…..

Richard Hoover
          Senior Moderator

Haasome,

Aside from personal preferences; the reason we default to ‘Satin’ finish on the neck is because it presents less resistance to your moving hand. On a magnified scale you would observe that the satin surface is irregular and has less contact surface to overcome, A gloss surface is smooth and presents more contact surface to slide over. Think of pushing a clean finger across a sandblasted glass surface vs. a squeaky clean window.

That’s the physics, regardless of opinion. The market challenge is that Crows and Humans are attracted to shiny things and find them more desirable; thus the bias towards Gloss necks and the reason we offer them as an option..

Best,

Richard

haasome
            Participant

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight. Your comment reminds me of driving along the back roads of New England with my wife. On one occasion we passed a garage sale and my wife thought she’d be funny and yelled out – “STOP, I saw something shiny!”

– Paul –

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.